[Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI [Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • 10. August 2020 at 8:01 #49516

I was encouraged by all the success stories regarding Max2Play and the Raspberry Pi4 here.

I currently have a Pi3 (with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro) and Pi3B (with Allo DigiOne). I am planning to add a couple of more Pi players in the future, so I wanted to move LMS onto a dedicated Max2Play server.

I ordered and received a RPi 4B 8G from PiShop.US and have spent several hours over the last couple of days trying to get LMS working on it. Actually, I have not been able to get the RPi 4 to boot at all using the current version on the Max2Play download page (Buster rpi-250). I get 4 slow blinking green lights followed by 4 fast blinking green lights repeating.

After trying 5 or 6 different SD cards of various sizes (8G, 16G, 32G), 3 different card readers to burn the image files, and downloading the Buster v250 files 3 times, I always got the same boot failure.

I decided to try some tests and downloaded PiCorePlayer and Volumio image files and burned those, sometimes to the same SD cards that had failed with the Max2Play image.

Both the PiCorePlayer and the Volumio SD cards would boot and the web interface was available and seemed to be working fine. I played around with each of them for some time and even used Volumio to set up a standalone LMS server on the RPi4 that is working well with my two Max2Play players now.

It appears that I should be able to get this up and working on a Rpi 4 using Max2Play and that is my preference because I’m more familiar with that interface and would prefer it. I notice that most of the information I’ve read about here regarding the RPi4 w/Max2Play working together involves Buster 2.52 version, I have no way to get to that version without booting with 2.50 and then updating – or so it seems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Craig

10. August 2020 at 11:54 #49517

Hi Craig,

reading other topics regarding Pi4 8GB comments (i.e. Nextcoud) it seems there is a adressing issue; i would recomment to set up a pi4 4GB with M2P-Buster, update & upgrade, update Kernel to latest available Version and try to boot that SD-Card on the 8Gig.
    Let me know, if that works; perhaps time will heal your 8Gig version…

Greetings
    Iwanman

10. August 2020 at 19:28 #49519

Thank you Iwanman,

That seems to be the way Bencat57 got his RPi4 8G working with Max2Play as he described earlier in this thread. This may be the only way at this time to get the RPi4 8G to work.

I was hoping to make these changes to my system one step at a time, but will give this a try so I can move forward. I will be able to use the RPi4 4G in the near future when building a new player with Max2Play and DAC HAT.

Thanks again for your input!

-Craig

11. August 2020 at 12:51 #49527

Hallo Clown55,

Es kann sein, dass manche USB-Soundkarten unter Max2Play mit einem Pi 4 noch nicht funktioniert. Wir haben leider keinen Ruby hier, um deinen Fall genau nachzuvollziehen. Wir werden die Wiedergabe über einen USB-DAC aber noch einmal zeitnah testen.

Edit: Ich habe eben den Allo Revolution DAC mit einem Pi 4 und dem Treiber „hw“ eine Stunde laufen lassen und konnte keine Probleme feststellen. Du könntest noch versuchen in den Raspberry Einstellungen die Power der USB Ports auf Maximum zu stellen, sofern dein DAC ausschließlich darüber Strom bekommt. Ansonsten könnte das Problem am Netzteil oder der Soundkarte selbst liegen.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by MarioM.
    16. August 2020 at 18:27 #49565

Hallo Marion,
    Habe auch die erhöhte Spannung ausprobiert obwohl ich das eigentlich ausgeschlossen hatte (dac hat eigene Versorgung und usb 1.1). AUCH UPDATE AUF DIE BETA DURCHGEFÜHRT. Finde in div Foren aber Hinweise, das der Rasp die Usb ausschaltet, wenn er Spannungsprobleme hat. Da ich 3 Netzteile probiert habe (u.a. das offizielle), scheint es nicht daran zu liegen. Andere Empfehlungen gehen auf ein update der Packete (bes. USB). Auch das habe ich versucht, bleibt aber immer bei setting appache2 hängen. Nochmals mit dem 3er probiert. Keine Probleme.

26. August 2020 at 22:10 #49574

Hi Heiner,

I’m a big fan of M2P which I’ve used for several years now on a RPI3B+ / Allo USBridge Sig and it sounds great. I recently upgraded to a RPI4 with 8GB RAM and Pi2AES Shield but I can’t get this image to install for some reason. I get a repeated blinking pattern on the green LED like some kind of error code but nothing else – any ideas? So I’m currently using Moode no problem but would like to swap back to M2P if I can.

Thanks,

James

27. August 2020 at 5:23 #49577

I had not been able to get M2P on my RPi4 8GB to boot up at first either. My plan was to set it up as an LMS server only with no soundcard.

I used the advice from Bencat57 and Iwanman above and got an RPi4 4GB and used the DL of M2P on an SD card to update it to version 2.52.

I then took that SD card and put it in the RPi4 8G and it would still not boot. That was anticipated, but just thought I’d try.

Then I updated it to the latest Kernal using info I found on the internet and rusty Unix skills I haven’t used since the 90s.

All went well and the RPi4 8G has been running Squeezebox Server/LMS for over a week now without any problems. Doing a rescan looking for new and changed media files went from about 14 minutes to about 3 minutes.

I then repurposed the RPi4 4G to be used with a new HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and it is running well on M2P Beta. I had planned on getting the new RPi4 and HiFiBerry card in the future, but ended up getting them earlier than planned to help get the 8gB RPi up and running.

Thanks for the help and suggestions from the folks on this forum.

Craig

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by CraigK.
    2. September 2020 at 12:20 #49598

Hi everyone,

@Clown55
    : Zeigt der Health Checker im Max2Play Interface irgendetwas ungewöhnliches an, wenn die Wiedergabe über den DAC nach den 30-50min stoppt? Eventuell wird auch im Audioplayer Debug oder im Squeezebox Server Log eine Fehlermeldung angezeigt. Läuft dein Pi 4 eventuell zu heiß? Hast du schon mal ein Kernel Update über das Webinterface probiert?

@jamesb
    , @CraigK: Unfortunately we still don’t have a Pi 4 with 8GB to test the image. So we cannot rule out that problems with the 8GB Pi will occur. Setting up the image first with a Pi 4 with less RAM as described by CraigK, Bencat57 and Iwanman seems to be a good workaround at the moment. We will take care of getting a test device as soon as possible and adapting the image to the requirements of the 8GB Pi.

9. September 2020 at 22:06 #49696

Hi MarioM,

That’s great I look forward to trying the update once you’ve got an 8GB RAM RPI4 test unit. The other RPIs I have are all 3B+ so no scope for me to set up via an RPI4 with less RAM sadly as described by CraigK/Bencat57.

Cheers,

James

24. September 2020 at 3:48 #49747

I then repurposed the RPi4 4G to be used with a new HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and it is running well on M2P Beta.

How were you able to get the DAC2 HD working? There is no matching option in the HiFiBerry plugin dropdown.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Bun-Bun.
    24. September 2020 at 7:18 #49749

Hello Bun-Bun,

The option to use for the HiFiBerry DAC2 HD on RPi4 is:

HifiBerry DAC+ HD (B+ / PI 2/3/4)

I believe to get that option to show up on drop-down I followed the instructions here to force an update to the latest Beta version of Max2Play:

https://www.max2play.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HifiBerry-DAC2-HD-Installation.pdf

I found that link at the bottom of this page under Installation:

https://shop.max2play.com/en/hifiberry-dac-2hd-298.html

-CraigK

25. September 2020 at 3:35 #49752

I found those instructions too, and I started with the beta image download. HifiBerry DAC+ HD (B+ / PI 2/3/4) does not exist in the plugin dropdown.

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. Version is 2.52, the “ Force update to the latest beta version of Max2Play (development).“ doesn’t exist I assume because I started with the beta version.

30. September 2020 at 12:38 #49761

Hi Bun-Bun,

The beta update is only possible for users of a Max2Play Premium license. Users without a premium license have to wait until the current beta version has been published as the new official Max2Play version.

13. Oktober 2020 at 20:45 #49836

Hallo,
    ich bin auch interessiert daran, Max2Play auf einem Raspi 4 mit 8GB laufen zu lassen. Wie ist denn da der aktuelle Stand, ist das Produkt mittlerweile angepasst? Das Modell ist ja nun schon einige Monate zu kaufen…

14. Oktober 2020 at 11:09 #49840

Hallo Simon,

wir testen gerade das neue angepasste Image. Sobald wir damit durch sind und das Image so stabil läuft wie unser aktuelles Beta Image, werden wir es zum Download anbieten.

19. November 2020 at 15:32 #50284

It has now been a few weeks and I would just like to ask if you have managed to secure a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB unit to work on ? I am currently using one as my Logitech Media Server only and while it is working very well it is still showing that it thinks it is a Pi 4 4Gb unit . I would be interested if there are any additional advantages in performance that can be used with the additional memory space that this Pi version offers . Any updates would be useful .

20. November 2020 at 15:14 #50292

Hi Bencat,

We finally have some 8GB Pis in stock, but we haven’t started testing them with our current image yet. However, the tests are scheduled for the next week or the week after that. We hope to be able to optimize the image for the 8GB version then.

20. November 2020 at 15:38 #50293

I don’t get why it would not work on the new pi4 8GB. I got it working on other none pi computers.

Seems like just have to install the OS and do some commands like this:

apt install apache2 php libapache2-mod-php php7.0-xml -y
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/max2play/webinterface/master/install_max2play.sh
    chmod 777 install_max2play.sh
    ./install_max2play.sh

Then go to it’s http address and set it up the rest of the way there and it should work.

-Raymond Day

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Raymond Day.
    10. Januar 2021 at 14:43 #50575

I have seen that you now do not have a beta download for Raspberry Pi 4 and it has now been included in your normal download for all models. Does this version also work with the Pi4 8GB unit ? Has the update of the download addressed the issues that have existed ? I am only asking because if so I will download the current Pi download and reflash an SD card and set my Pi4 8 stand alone server with it (I will retain teh current SD card in case of anu issues) but do not want to do this unless the Pi4 8GB install is now included .

11. Januar 2021 at 20:23 #50579

Hello, Autostart Squeezelite takes 1 minute to autostart after exiting from KODI. If I start Squeezelite manually using the GUI web interface then Squeezelite starts immediately. I have been using RPi3 no issues for 3 years. Issues started on RPi4.

Operating Version 2.53 on RPi4B 4GB
    Squeezelite Max2Play v1.0.3 based on v1.8.7-999, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2017 Ralph Irving.
    KODI V18.7
    SqueezeServer 7.9

Thanks, Rod

12. Januar 2021 at 15:28 #50587

Hi everyone,

@Bencat
    : The current image should now also work for the 8GB Pi (even if the „8GB“ is not yet displayed in the web interface). So you are very welcome to test the image with it. If you should still run into compatibility problems that we have not yet discovered, please let us know and we will solve them.

@Rod
    : The Squeezelite autostart timer should be as long on the Pi 4 as it is on the Pi 3. Maybe we changed that though because of another problem with the Pi 4. I’ll ask our developer about this.

5. Juni 2021 at 17:04 #51305

Is the current version of Max2Play pre-configured for Allo Boss2 Player? I’d like to use Max2Play on my new Boss2. Thanks

8. Juni 2021 at 11:44 #51310

Hi fahzz,

With the latest Max2Play version you can install the Allo BOSS2 driver in the Allo plugin.

13. Juni 2021 at 15:52 #51333

I’m having difficulty with Allo Boss 2 and Squeezebox setup. LMS is running, my wireless Boom unit plays music, but LMS on the Pi (ethernet), while visble, does not play music. LMS server log says:

2021-06-13 15:31:57 squeezeboxserver_safe stopped.
    2021-06-13 15:32:03 squeezeboxserver_safe started.
    [21-06-13 15:32:07.3370] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.0.1, 1608617100, Tue Dec 22 07:18:04 CET 2020) perl 5.028001 – arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    [21-06-13 15:32:07.8031] Slim::Utils::IPDetect::_init (138) Warning: Couldn’t call connect() – falling back to 127.0.0.1

I am mot sure what I’ve done wrong. I do know that the prompt „Choose Soundcard to load on boot (device tree overlay)“ does not have an option for Boss 2, only options for other cards. Not sure which option to pick.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

16. Juni 2021 at 13:53 #51342

Hi fahzz,

You should find the option for Allo Boss 2 in the Allo plugin.

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here