[Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI [Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • 5. Juli 2019 at 9:48 #46162

Hello Max2Play Community,

Today, I get to announce our new beta image that is compatible with all Raspberry Pi 4B models.

You can download and burn the image right now from our download page.

It can run the Squeezebox Server 7.9 nightly and should be compatible with all our plugins.

Please post all feedback and questions you have on this new image and your experiences with it here.

With this image, we also released the Max2Play 2.50 Update.

For a full overview of the changes in this release, head to our Change Log.

5. Juli 2019 at 10:10 #46164

Good Morning Heiner

Well done on getting out even a beta image for this new Pi so quickly . I downloaded the image today and wrote to my Raspbery Pi 4 4GB unit today.

Downlaod went well and image loaded with no issues. I was able to access the online Max2play web page straight away . I then mounted my USB 2 TB HD and loaded the latest LMS image . LMS has loaded and is currently running and updating my Library (which is over 50,000 songs) so will take a little time. Once this has completed will connect the Pi up as my server and will use and report back on how it is working.

regards

Andrew

5. Juli 2019 at 10:49 #46165

Right Library read of 50049 tracks took 17 minutes so not bad as you only really do this for the first run . I have now fully loaded the Rpi 4 and set it going as my LMS server . Music started straight away and is playing as I am typing this. Response and reaction to requests is very quick and much smoother than before .

So far working very well and all the normal additions I use with LMS (Material Skin , Radio Paradise , BBC iPlayer ) all seem to be working well . I only use this Pi as a server so no hat or sound card loaded so not able to say how that function is working . So far so in my view very good . I hesitate to add this as it is a very subjective thing but I feel the sound quality has also improved and seems more solid and stable than before .

5. Juli 2019 at 10:50 #46166

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear it worked right away.

Let us know about the performance of the 4GB model with your LMS library, it would be interesting to compare it to older models of the Pi.

5. Juli 2019 at 12:05 #46168

Hi Heiner

I think when I set up the RPi 3 + as server it took around 19 minutes to do a full scan and that was probably a year ago so my Library was smaller (I buy CD’s and rip them to the Library at a rate of around 10 – 15 per month) . So I feel the RPi4 is quicker on this aswel it is just that it always take a while if you have a large Library . Full scan using a Windows 10 Lap top takes about 15 plus minutes so givne the differnce in pwoer the Pi4 is still okay and you only really need to do this when setting up after that it is just a scan of new files when added which as I just added 2 x CD’s just now is super quick compared Rpi 3 so all good .

6. Juli 2019 at 1:14 #46171

Evening Heiner

LMS has been pplaying all day on various players around the house with no issues . One thing I would mention is that I added some new music from CD rips in Flac today at two different times . As I always do I asked LMS to do a scan looking for new and changed media files but in both cases LMS did a complete rescan .

As I am not sure if this was just the software settling down will wait until I add my next new music and let you know if this happens again or as normal it just scans the new material added.

Still thrilled with this as Beta software so far it has been the most bug free beta I have ever used .

8. Juli 2019 at 10:42 #46181

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update.

9. Juli 2019 at 0:44 #46207

I installed it on a 2G RPi4 last night and all went well. Everything installed and ran as expected …. Definitely feels snappier. Many thanks!

10. Juli 2019 at 11:08 #46250

Hi Heiner,
    This is a follow up on my „No Hifiberry digi+ card after upgrade to Buster“ post.
    So yesterday evening I installed this beta package on a clean SD card and ran it on my 3B+ with the Hifiberry Digi+ board.
    It installed just fine and everything seemed to be ok and I’m pretty sure (but not 100%) I saw the digi+ was detected by Squeezelite.
    At that moment I could not test the audio output as „the boss“ was using the receiver 😉
    This morning I thought I would do a quick test. Unfortunately now Squeezelite had a status of not started again and the soundcard was on jack again. The PI was not turned off during the night btw.
    I selected none in the Hifiberry interface and restarted, now Squeezelite was auto started but with one of the bcm2815 settings again.
    Selected the Digi+ in hifiberry interface and restarted, again the jack output was selected and no hifiberry choices availablein the list.
    When I re-installed my Stretch SD card the Digi+ was again detected and working.
    Maybe its just me, but I feel something is not 100% for the 3B+ with this image or rather Buster as an upgrade from Stretch to Buster resulted in the same problem for me.

Is there anybody out there with an older Pi and a HifiBerry board running Buster successfully???

12. Juli 2019 at 9:51 #46297

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for the feedback, we will test this exact configuration here to make sure it is not a universal problem. Can you tell us which version of the Digi+ it was? (HW X.X on the top of the board)

13. Juli 2019 at 14:19 #46302

Hi Heiner,

The text on the board is Hifiberry Digi-Pro HW1.2.
    Apparently I have a Pro board not a plus sorry about that

15. Juli 2019 at 15:55 #46316

Hi ErwinB,

I was just able to successfully load the hifiberry driver for the Digi+ Pro on Pi2B with our buster image. I’ll check playback tomorrow, but it doesn’t look like I can recreate your particular error here.

15. Juli 2019 at 22:30 #46325

Hi Heiner,
    I think I figured out where it goes wrong for me. I tried installing the image again from scratch but this time I wrote down what I did as I went along.
    Turns out that enabling lirc support seems to be the cause. After enabling lirc on the rasberry settings page and rebooting the audioplayer does not start and the jack is selected in the advanced settings. Disable lirc and reboot and the hifiberry is back.
    Below my shorthand notes of what I did.

– Burn Image
    – First startup
    – On first webpage load select hifiberry
    – Select digi/digi+ and save
    – Reboot
    – Select audioplayer advanced, hifiberry is selected
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – activate license
    – install squeezebox 7.9 nightly
    – install raspberry pi touch display plugin
    – select 7″ touchdisplay and start install. During this the following is displayed
    W: –force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with –allow instead.
    E: Unable to locate package tslib
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – select rotate display and hide mouse pointer – save
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – start jivelite and check autostart and autohide
    – add -v to audioplayer setting
    – map network drive
    – reboot
    – disable bt/wifi and enable lirc
    – reboot
    – check – error, jack is selected

– disable lirc – save – reboot, hifiberry is back

17. Juli 2019 at 10:25 #46342

Hi Erwin,

Thank you so much for the detailed troubleshooting report. The issue is that the GPIO 18 is used by the HiFiBerry card, so the LIRc solution needs to be changed to GPIO 25. Please try this and check if the issue persists.

21. Juli 2019 at 11:42 #46434

Hi Heiner,
    Sorry for the slow response but I did not see your post was edited.
    That did it.
    Strange thing is that this did not stop the hifiberry driver from loading on stretch, but it does probably explain why I never got lirc to work 🙂

22. Juli 2019 at 9:48 #46440

Hi Today I have run in to my first issue . LMS appears to be running but is no able to be viewed using the normal 192.168.1. — (your isp no) 9000.

When you try to access this then you get 404 not found . I am still able to acces the Pi via LMS and I can still do an update via max2play page but the actual interface is not showing .

At a bit of a loss as to what to do only thing I can think of is to do a new clean download of max2play and see if things sort themselves out with a new install ?

22. Juli 2019 at 15:12 #46445

Hi Bencat,

Please check the debug info from the Squeezebox Server menu and paste the last lines in here.

24. Juli 2019 at 8:59 #46463

Sorry Heiner due to the issue I had it was not possible to see any page for LMS so without being able to see anything it was not possible to copy the log .

As indicated above I have created a clean new download of the image and loaded that . Set up was as expected and LMS and Material Skin are both working again as they had been for weeks after my original download and set up .

Things are back to normal again but as this is a new install I am not able to go back and review what happened with the previous install and give you the feedback you need to see what happened .

Will just use the current install and hope the issue was just a one off .

29. Juli 2019 at 13:52 #46519

Good Afternoon All

Beta version of Max2play has been running for a few weeks on my RPi 4 and with some minor hiccups it has been a very positive experience . The Rpi 4 is the computer card we have all been waiting for . It has the speed and memory it really needed to run the LMS server at the speeds and response times we would all wish for. It is possible that Heiner will be able to get some more out of the RPi 4 when he has the chance to work with it for a while but I am more than content with what I have now . Sound is really great , the server is rock solid and response times with Touch Screen players , Apps and controls from a PC are all very precise and instantly responded too .

Only real issue I had (which is nothing to do with Max2play) was that the CPU on the RPi 4 was running very hot . In original form when using the RPi 4 as an LMS server only it was around 70 – 72 when idling and given that at 80 the RPi 4 CPU will start to throttle back that is not much head room. This is a known issue of the Pi 4 and the makers have issued a firmware update to address the issue . Using Putty you can SSH in to your Pi 4 and put in the following lines

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This will change your Pi to the latest firmware and any other updates that are current . Result after this was that the temperature dropped to around 60 – 64 which is good but for me still a little too close to the top limit . I purchased a Flirc Case for Raspberry Pi 4 and this arrived today . Very nice case which looks sleek main body is made of an aluminium casting and also nice and simple to put together you stick a patch of heat paste to the CPU case and this is attached to a rectangular post cast in the case. Put the plastic case bottom over the SD card input and just drop the whole pie in the case , four screws keep it very firmly attached .

Then did a reboot of Max2play and started LMS server and started the music playing , which it istill doing now as I type this . A check of the temperature shows a nice cool 41 which stays steady even with three players all playing in different rooms . This means my RPi 4 will stay working well within its specifications and there should be no issues . Would recommend this case as being a very effective passive solution to the heat problems .

30. Juli 2019 at 12:00 #46538

Hi Bencat,

Thanks for sharing! We will have a look at this and will try to implement it for the next beta. 🙂

30. Juli 2019 at 18:09 #46571

Now that we have the option for more RAM along with the faster CPU with the Pi4’s has anyone investigated at what size LMS libary we should start looking at the 2G or 4G model? Will the OS allow the LMS database to utilize the additional RAM effectively?

I am approaching 90k tracks stored on a remote FREENAS file system, so I am also interested in the faster network speed during file scan’s etc.

Thanks

Scott

PS Great work BTW!

31. Juli 2019 at 14:07 #46580

Hi sfraser,

We are still evaluating, you can follow bencat’s posts here as he actually uses the 4gb RAM model for his LMS.

1. August 2019 at 13:46 #46628

I wanted to test this out on my Pi 4 with 4GB RAM.

It works and I hooked it up to a blue tooth speaker and worked real good.

Went to bed and got up the next morning and went to play some music with it but it did not.

Said to connect to the blue tooth and it say’s connected and in about 3 sec. Say’s disconnected.

I did this like 10 times. Turn off and on the blue tooth and right away says connected then disconnected right after that.

Did all I could think of removed it and connected it again. Just did not reboot the Pi 4 I guess should do that.

Here is some info copy and past from it.

Agent registered
    agent off
    Agent unregistered
    agent NoInputNoOutput
    devices
    Device 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5 T2
    Agent registered
    trust 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Changing 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5 trust succeeded
    pair 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Attempting to pair with 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AlreadyExists
    connect 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Attempting to connect to 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Device 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5 Connected: yes
    Name: T2
    Address: 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Icon: audio-card
    Class: 0x340404
    Paired: 1
    Connected: 1

#### Bluetooth Installation ####

#### Bluetooth Dongle ####
    hci0: Type: Primary Bus: UART
    BD Address: DC:A6:32:07:7E:85 ACL MTU: 1021:8 SCO MTU: 64:1
    UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
    RX bytes:157803 acl:331 sco:0 events:17345 errors:0
    TX bytes:16760504 acl:33441 sco:0 commands:344 errors:0

#### DEVICE T2 ####
    [27:3A:57:40:2B:F5]
    Name: T2
    Alias: T2 [rw]
    Address: 27:3A:57:40:2B:F5
    Icon: audio-card
    Class: 0x340404
    Paired: 1
    Trusted: 1 [rw]
    Blocked: 0 [rw]
    Connected: 1
    UUIDs: [SerialPort, AudioSink, AVRemoteControlTarget, AdvancedAudioDistribution, AVRemoteControl, Handsfree, PnPInformation]

#### BLUEALSA RUNNING ####

-Raymond Day

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Raymond Day.
    1. August 2019 at 13:53 #46631

Wow the reboot fixed it. I clicked under blue tooth connect and it worked did not say disconnected right after. Playing music with it now. Just had to reboot.

=Raymond Day

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Raymond Day.
    22. August 2019 at 7:29 #46824

Yesterday I finally received my Raspberry 4/4GB. I installed a fresh copy of this image did an upgrade plus kernal upgrade and installed Squeezebox server.
    Now I am trying to gain access with Winscp but strangly enough it does not work. I can login neither as root nor as pi.
    Anybody else run into this?

22. August 2019 at 16:15 #46827

Been running M2P on a new Pi4 w/4G RAM installed in a FLirc case for 2 days now. Music is accessed via cifs on a freenas host. Initial scan of 90K libarary was around 80 minutes VS 4 hours on the Pi3. Flirc case is keeping temps down via passive cooling, nothing else to report other than two thumsb up! Thanks guys!

23. August 2019 at 22:38 #46830

I re-imaged the sd card. After booting I just selected „skip“ in the audiocard selection and selected the „Advanced: A real multiroom audio player that integrates in a Squeezebox environment with powerful options for high-quality audio and a lot of features.“ option and rebooted.
    Again I can’t login using winscp/putty using pi and password raspberry or root with password max2play like I could with the pre raspberry 4 images.
    What am I doing wrong?

24. August 2019 at 8:43 #46831

The SHH details are

username – pi

password – max2play

If you use this then you will be able to get in to your pi accordingly .

24. August 2019 at 10:24 #46832

Thanks Bencat57 tested and works!

25. August 2019 at 17:31 #46836

For others who want to use their pi 4 for more then just max2play at the same time and who do need root access for Winscp and the likes. You can enable root access with „sudo passwd root“ to assign a password to the root user and using „sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config“ to uncomment PermitRootLogin and set it to „yes“. After this restart sshd with „service sshd restart“. I found most of this information here

I am by no means an linux expert, I have to google for basically everything. I want to use my raspberry 4 for max2play but also for mqtt, homeassistant and mip etc. With the pi user password I was able to install mosquitto mqtt but I could not copy config files from my current 3b using winscp because the mosquitto files are root user files.
    If anybody knows another way to use winscp to edit/overwrite root user files as the pi user I would love to hear it. Setting shell to „sudo su -“ did not work.

To be clear, the above degrades security for internet connected devices because, probably among others, it opens up the pi to brute password attacks.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by ErwinB.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here