[Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

Max2Play Home 2016 (en) Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI [Announce] New Max2Play Image for Raspberry Pi 4

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ErwinB premium 22 hours, 31 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 5. Juli 2019 at 9:48 #46162

Hello Max2Play Community,

Today, I get to announce our new beta image that is compatible with all Raspberry Pi 4B models.

You can download and burn the image right now from our download page.

It can run the Squeezebox Server 7.9 nightly and should be compatible with all our plugins.

Please post all feedback and questions you have on this new image and your experiences with it here.

With this image, we also released the Max2Play 2.50 Update.

For a full overview of the changes in this release, head to our Change Log.

5. Juli 2019 at 10:10 #46164

Good Morning Heiner

Well done on getting out even a beta image for this new Pi so quickly . I downloaded the image today and wrote to my Raspbery Pi 4 4GB unit today.

Downlaod went well and image loaded with no issues. I was able to access the online Max2play web page straight away . I then mounted my USB 2 TB HD and loaded the latest LMS image . LMS has loaded and is currently running and updating my Library (which is over 50,000 songs) so will take a little time. Once this has completed will connect the Pi up as my server and will use and report back on how it is working.

regards

Andrew

5. Juli 2019 at 10:49 #46165

Right Library read of 50049 tracks took 17 minutes so not bad as you only really do this for the first run . I have now fully loaded the Rpi 4 and set it going as my LMS server . Music started straight away and is playing as I am typing this. Response and reaction to requests is very quick and much smoother than before .

So far working very well and all the normal additions I use with LMS (Material Skin , Radio Paradise , BBC iPlayer ) all seem to be working well . I only use this Pi as a server so no hat or sound card loaded so not able to say how that function is working . So far so in my view very good . I hesitate to add this as it is a very subjective thing but I feel the sound quality has also improved and seems more solid and stable than before .

5. Juli 2019 at 10:50 #46166

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear it worked right away.

Let us know about the performance of the 4GB model with your LMS library, it would be interesting to compare it to older models of the Pi.

5. Juli 2019 at 12:05 #46168

Hi Heiner

I think when I set up the RPi 3 + as server it took around 19 minutes to do a full scan and that was probably a year ago so my Library was smaller (I buy CD’s and rip them to the Library at a rate of around 10 – 15 per month) . So I feel the RPi4 is quicker on this aswel it is just that it always take a while if you have a large Library . Full scan using a Windows 10 Lap top takes about 15 plus minutes so givne the differnce in pwoer the Pi4 is still okay and you only really need to do this when setting up after that it is just a scan of new files when added which as I just added 2 x CD’s just now is super quick compared Rpi 3 so all good .

6. Juli 2019 at 1:14 #46171

Evening Heiner

LMS has been pplaying all day on various players around the house with no issues . One thing I would mention is that I added some new music from CD rips in Flac today at two different times . As I always do I asked LMS to do a scan looking for new and changed media files but in both cases LMS did a complete rescan .

As I am not sure if this was just the software settling down will wait until I add my next new music and let you know if this happens again or as normal it just scans the new material added.

Still thrilled with this as Beta software so far it has been the most bug free beta I have ever used .

8. Juli 2019 at 10:42 #46181

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update.

9. Juli 2019 at 0:44 #46207

I installed it on a 2G RPi4 last night and all went well. Everything installed and ran as expected …. Definitely feels snappier. Many thanks!

10. Juli 2019 at 11:08 #46250

Hi Heiner,
    This is a follow up on my „No Hifiberry digi+ card after upgrade to Buster“ post.
    So yesterday evening I installed this beta package on a clean SD card and ran it on my 3B+ with the Hifiberry Digi+ board.
    It installed just fine and everything seemed to be ok and I’m pretty sure (but not 100%) I saw the digi+ was detected by Squeezelite.
    At that moment I could not test the audio output as „the boss“ was using the receiver 😉
    This morning I thought I would do a quick test. Unfortunately now Squeezelite had a status of not started again and the soundcard was on jack again. The PI was not turned off during the night btw.
    I selected none in the Hifiberry interface and restarted, now Squeezelite was auto started but with one of the bcm2815 settings again.
    Selected the Digi+ in hifiberry interface and restarted, again the jack output was selected and no hifiberry choices availablein the list.
    When I re-installed my Stretch SD card the Digi+ was again detected and working.
    Maybe its just me, but I feel something is not 100% for the 3B+ with this image or rather Buster as an upgrade from Stretch to Buster resulted in the same problem for me.

Is there anybody out there with an older Pi and a HifiBerry board running Buster successfully???

12. Juli 2019 at 9:51 #46297

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for the feedback, we will test this exact configuration here to make sure it is not a universal problem. Can you tell us which version of the Digi+ it was? (HW X.X on the top of the board)

13. Juli 2019 at 14:19 #46302

Hi Heiner,

The text on the board is Hifiberry Digi-Pro HW1.2.
    Apparently I have a Pro board not a plus sorry about that

15. Juli 2019 at 15:55 #46316

Hi ErwinB,

I was just able to successfully load the hifiberry driver for the Digi+ Pro on Pi2B with our buster image. I’ll check playback tomorrow, but it doesn’t look like I can recreate your particular error here.

15. Juli 2019 at 22:30 #46325

Hi Heiner,
    I think I figured out where it goes wrong for me. I tried installing the image again from scratch but this time I wrote down what I did as I went along.
    Turns out that enabling lirc support seems to be the cause. After enabling lirc on the rasberry settings page and rebooting the audioplayer does not start and the jack is selected in the advanced settings. Disable lirc and reboot and the hifiberry is back.
    Below my shorthand notes of what I did.

– Burn Image
    – First startup
    – On first webpage load select hifiberry
    – Select digi/digi+ and save
    – Reboot
    – Select audioplayer advanced, hifiberry is selected
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – activate license
    – install squeezebox 7.9 nightly
    – install raspberry pi touch display plugin
    – select 7″ touchdisplay and start install. During this the following is displayed
    W: –force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with –allow instead.
    E: Unable to locate package tslib
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – select rotate display and hide mouse pointer – save
    – reboot
    – check – ok
    – start jivelite and check autostart and autohide
    – add -v to audioplayer setting
    – map network drive
    – reboot
    – disable bt/wifi and enable lirc
    – reboot
    – check – error, jack is selected

– disable lirc – save – reboot, hifiberry is back

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here