[NEW UPDATE] Spotify Connect Server – beta available!

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play Development (Ideas, Wishes) [NEW UPDATE] Spotify Connect Server – beta available!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • 22. Februar 2016 at 17:49 #18630

Hi, guys

How about a Spotify Connect server, allowing us to use the Spotify app on our devices to control our Max2Play servers?

http://www.forum-raspberrypi.de/Thread-tutorial-spotify-connect-server-headless-standalone

29. Februar 2016 at 15:06 #18841

Hi q20,
    Thanks for informing us about this server software. Unfortunately, it does not seem to offer any multiroom capabilites, which we are looking for first and foremost.
    However, we would be interested to know what functionalities this server offers over the Squeezebox Server’s Spotify implementation with the triode plugin, aside from the official app and connect support.

In case you only read the first page, here is the updated version get librespot up to date:

We now edited the plugin to accommodate any changes in librespot. To get this changed version, just:

– Go to „Settings/Reboot“
    – Install the Spotify Connect plugin again as you did already with the URL from our website:
    http://shop.max2play.com/media/downloadable/currentversion/spotifyconnect.tar
    – Click „Reinstall“ on the Spotify Connect page
    – Reboot, you’re done! 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Heiner.
    29. Februar 2016 at 22:54 #18878

Die Spotify connect Funktion wäre schon sehr praktisch. Man bekommt die möglichkeit einfach das Ausgabegerät für Spotify zu wählen.
    Man kann einfach auf das Lautsprechersymbol clicken und sich dann einen connect Gerät im Netzwerk aussuchen.
    I would also be very happy if you can add a spotify connect function.

Gruß
    DIVA

1. März 2016 at 11:28 #18882

The triode plugin is, like most LMS plugins, not perfect; none of the muusic in my library is displayed, search-as-you-type is not implemented, etc. The native app, although it’s not without its own imperfections, is far easier to navigate, has more features and just works with every Spotify-Connect device out-of-the-box.

3. März 2016 at 12:57 #19052

Hallo!

We will look into this within the next weeks and try to add this feature to MAx2Play if it is not to time-consuming.

The selection of the correct output device is possible with the combination of Squeezebox Server, the Shairtunes2 plug-in and miniDLNA plug-in for SBS. Access the SBS from your Apple with Airplay (connects to Shairtunes2) or Android devices with BubbleUPnP for example (connects to miniDLNA).

Maximilian from Max2Play

29. März 2016 at 17:18 #19513

@Maximilian: hey, have you guys continued to look into adding this feature? Although I’m able to manually configure the Spotify Connect daemon and have it run on startup, this causes audio in Kodi to distort, requiring a reboot.

I’m certain if Spotify Connect were implemented by you guys you’d be able to make sure this is not the case.
    This would be brilliant! 🙂

4. Juli 2016 at 15:55 #21145

Habt Ihr schon geprüft ob das mit der Spotify connect Funktion geht?

Gruß
    DIVA

5. Juli 2016 at 9:18 #21171

Guten Morgen.

Ich bin ebenfalls sehr interessiert an SpotifyConnect auf den Pis.
    Es wäre ein zusätzliches Killerfeature.

Grüße

6. Juli 2016 at 15:37 #21268

I hope you guys will manage to get this future working! Also if you need some testing i’ll be happy to assist. Like q20 i am able to install it manually on my ‚old‘ RP2 with Hifiberry DAC+ and 7″touchscreen, but switching between my phone and touchscreen for control will give some problems with audio signal not getting released and or obtained and the described distortion in Kodi.

12. Juli 2016 at 9:58 #21432

Another *good* reason to get this working might be that with this Spotify Connect plugin it won’t be needed to run LMS only to use Spotify.I for once mostly use Spotify and only now and then webradio or my local music. With this plug in I can hear Spotify in the room of my choice!

6. August 2016 at 21:26 #22068

I also think it would be great (!) to implement Spotify Connect as part of max2play.

8. August 2016 at 17:57 #22088

Hello bkonijn,

Our current topic is to implement the plugin builder into Max2Play-OS. It gives you and other people of the Max2Play-community the opportunity to create your own ideas and wishes. It would be great, if someone of the community build this plugin. But it is a very specific application.

4. September 2016 at 11:18 #22861

Would like to contribute to get this Spotify Connect working on Max2play. But i am not a programmer!
    I will look into the plugin-builder but changes are i will not be able to get this working due to my absence of programming-skill 😉
    In the mean time maybe someone on this forum and/or developers will have a look at this:
    https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/tree/master/plugins/music_service/volspotconnect

Maybe it’s easy to implement if allowed?
    Cheers!

31. Oktober 2016 at 17:05 #23617

would really appreciate a spotify connect plugin as well
    (using my IOS device and the Spotify app is much more comfortable than the Spotify Plugin for Squeezebox)

10. November 2016 at 18:34 #23865

Hi All,
    I dare to state that a Spotify Connect Server would be a killer feature for max2play!

23. November 2016 at 15:01 #24125

Hello modtastic and cyrano4711,

Sorry for the late response.

We are not working on it at the moment. However, the functionality of Spotify Connect can be achieved using DLNA and Airplay. So it is also possible to Playback Spotify, with the Android Smartphone or an Apple device, over the Max2Play device.

27. November 2016 at 11:55 #24280

Hi,

I managed to implement Spotify Connect on my Max2Play Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry following this instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMzXmvW4T8

The only problem is that both try to use the same output device, I get an error when I try to start Squeezelight:
    [10:35:50.562781] test_open:294 playback open error: Invalid argument
    [10:35:50.563179] output_init_common:381 unable to open output device

Maybe a solution to switch between players sharing the same output device (similar to MultiShairport) is possible?

18. Dezember 2016 at 18:34 #24972

My german is a bit rusty.
    Do you know where to find an English guide?

18. Dezember 2016 at 20:45 #24978

Let me tune in on this as well. I would love to see a Max2Play Spotify Connect plugin too. Squeezebox seems to be so outdated and performance hungry…

20. Dezember 2016 at 9:00 #25047

Raumfeld and the Roberts iStream 2 have this feature. I think it would be really cool to have that on Max2play too. Then it would also be easier to convince others to use m2p

20. Dezember 2016 at 11:54 #25048

And Sonos also has the option: https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/sonos/

Christoph:
    Yes, it may well be that it is a very specific application, but it is also very useful. It is not a secret that the apps to control Squeezebox Server is very far behind in user experience compared to the Spotify app. Aka: Orange Squeeze and others. It works for me, but not to non-technical person.

DLNA and Airplay should be able to provide access to connect through Spotify connect? Can you explain how the process is? I’ve tried, but it does not seem to work.

If I had the technical skill, I would immediately try to develop a plugin, but since I do not have the technical capacities, I have to appeal to the higher powers.

27. Dezember 2016 at 4:11 #25254

Hello all,

I add my voice to this request. Currently, my installation is on Volumio, and for many reasons, I’m thinking to switch to Max2Play, that I am currently testing for some new projects. But the lack of Spotify Connect (it also exists on Volumio through a community plugin) is clearly something that keeps me on Volumio for the moment.

Why is Spotify Connect interesting ?

First, I am a big fan of Spotify radios made from my own playlists. I put 10/12 artists/songs in a playlist, then ask Spotify to create a radio from this playlist. It adds a lot of other songs from artists I did not even know, but usually like a lot. I can’t get this through the Spotify plugin. I can only get the playlist with the artists I know. With Spotify connect, I can create my radio in Spotify app, and broadcast it to Max2play (well already possible through airplay, but unfortunately, I’m an android user).

Second, I have not found any good solution when I have friends at home to able them to cast their own music. That was one thing I wanted to try with Max2play and the Bluetooth plugin, but the pairing procedure is too complicated, and I get a bad sound from bluetooth. With a Spotify Connect server, I could just ask them to cast to Max2Play device (well for those of them who use Spotify).

Third, the plugin is connected with my account. And my children listen to some weird music with it. And then I keep getting weird suggestions from Spotify each time I connect myself on Spotify. With Spotify connect, my kids are still able to cast their own music on the device, without messing with my own account.

So, yes, I think this is a must-have, and having it available on Max2play would definitely make it the ultimate solution.

10. Januar 2017 at 20:57 #25763

I’ll be so happy if Spotify connect will be implemented!!!
    Sehr sehr fro !!!

12. Januar 2017 at 12:16 #25803

I Totaly agree!

Wouldn’t it be an option/possibility to implement the SpotifyConnectServer in the same way as bluetooth „stream to squeezebox server“ is implemented? It will equally be shown as a ‚favorite‘ in your interface then?

Remotes like orange squeeze and all the others simply aren’t updated enough to really be and stay usefull. Lists arn’t synchronized and search options are minimal. A lot of people are discovering spotify. They will in the end switch to something that incorporates spotify in a better way.

I am now resorting to an old smartphone connected to my amplifier alongside my Pi, in order to use spotify well and allow my friends to play there tunes in my house as well!

I think Max2play is the perfect solution for multiroom streaming, music collections and KOdi, but Spotify is not to be neglected! Danke 🙂

greets, Steffen

20. Januar 2017 at 13:21 #26152

Yes, an implementation of the Spotify Connect Server would be a big step forward for M2P, in my view. To be honest I am flabbergasted that M2P as „Multiroom Audio OS“ does not seem to take this seriously.

I am currently using Max2play with a Squeezeserver and JiveLite on a Rpi 3 + touchscreen to control a Pi zero running Max2play and a Squeezebox receiver unit and stream Spotify audio to them. It works, but Squeezeserver feels and looks dated and for example sound synchronization is flaky. This works for example better using the Squeezer android app than using the JiveLite interface. The interface of the Spotify plugin is also not great in comparison to the native Spotify app/software and this plugin does not get any further development or support by Triode anymore.

I am keeping a keen eye on the developments at Volumio, with the Spotify Connect add-on. I am already considering to switch my playback devices to Volumio+Spotify Connect and to install Android on my Rpi 3 + touchscreen to be able to run the Spotify App natively and control the playback devices using that…

Greetings, Anton

29. Januar 2017 at 12:38 #26384

Yes, please give us a spotify connect plugin. I tried to install it myself and it worked, but the spotify connect blocked shairport sound output afterwards and I couldn’t get it right. Not much linux knowledge on my side to fix this…

20. Februar 2017 at 13:14 #27036

Ich schließe mich mal an.
    Ein Spotify Connect Plugin für M2P wäre super. Dann könnte ich Volumio den Rücken kehren und nur noch M2P auf den Pi’s betreiben .

Mfg Timm

22. Februar 2017 at 14:19 #27122

Thumb up for implementing this as Spotify plugin in lms is deprecated and no longer maintained, using old library that Spotify can turn off anytime since they switched to connect mode.

27. Februar 2017 at 22:06 #27294

Update:
    I managed to implement Spotify Connect on my Max2Play Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry following this instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMzXmvW4T8 I think other instructions are available as Well.

I use it in combination with Max2play Squeezelite player. I can switch between spotify-connect and Squeezelite. If you use the newest commits of spotify-connect (especially Pull #18 https://github.com/Fornoth/spotify-connect-web/pull/18) in combination with the -C option in Squeezelite player, the hifiberry audiocard is released by the audioplayer (spotify-connect or Squeezelite) when it is not playing. This works fine.

28. Februar 2017 at 13:21 #27317

Das Klingt doch super werde ich heute Abend mal testen.
    Eine Frage zum Verständnis habe ich aber noch. Streamt der Squeezebox Server dann die gespielte Musik von Spotify oder ist die Musik dann nur auf dem einen Pi hörbar.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here