Forum Replies Created
9. Juli 2016 at 18:33 #21402
I’m not abandoning Kodi, I’m gradually moving away from OSMC in favour of max2play.
A while back I tried OpenElec and OSMC and ended up settling with OSMC on a RPi3 in both the living room and the bedroom (can’t remember why I chose OSMC over OpenElec but I don’t think there was much difference).
When I got an interest in having multi-room audio I found and tried squeezelite which does run on OSMC as well but is not supported (because OSMC is fully aimed at Kodi).
I’m moving towards max2play because of the flexibility and plugins like jivelite and bluetooth and I like to tinker with things myself.
OneArmedBandit7. Juli 2016 at 15:27 #21287
Thanks for the compliments and I’d be interested in participating more. Let me know what the plans are and we’ll see what happens. You can also email me directly on the address I’m registered with.
Now on the hosts/hostname bug:
It looks like the patch isn’t working yet. Martin reported it here and after trying it myself I had a look at the code.
My PHP-foo is quite rusty as I’m a Perl guy myself but here’s what I found:
The part that is generating the „sed“ command looks like this:
'sed -i \'s/'.$this->getHostname($this->view->playername).' '.$this->view->playername.'/'.$this->getHostname($name).' '.$name.'/\' /etc/hosts'
Which resolves into:
sed -i 's/max2play max2play/livingroom livingroom/' /etc/hosts
… and that doesn’t do much on an /etc/hosts file that looks like this on a default install:
pi@max2play:~ $ cat /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters 127.0.1.1 max2play
I think I understand where the need for the addition of getHostname comes from but my guess is that it was written in a dev environment where /etc/hosts may have looked like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost max2play ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
Hope this helps.
OneArmedBandit6. Juli 2016 at 9:12 #21234
It looks like there’s 2 different issues here and I don’t think they’re related:
sudo: unable to resolve host raspberry Timed out
It seems the bug is only fixed partially in v2.32 and you „triggered“ it again by renaming your player to „raspberry“.
I bet that since changing the name the webinterface became slow on certain actions. Naming it back to max2play should resolve that part of your issue until the bug is 100% fixed.
The core issue is that when the name in /etc/hostname doesn’t match with an entry in /etc/hosts you get the slowness caused by the „sudo: unable to resolve host <your_player_name>“ error. In v2.31 /etc/hostname contained „max2play“ while /etc/hosts had „raspberry“. They fixed it in v2.32 by changing the /etc/hostname entry to „max2play“ but it looks like that file doesn’t get updated when you rename your player.
Password for root@//192.168.0.22/: Retrying with upper case share name mount error(6)
I’m still relatively new to max2play and haven’t tried any mounting yet as I have no need for it yet.
I suggest you give more info on what system you’re trying to mount from like the Operating System, what protocol and if you’re able to mount it from other (non max2play) systems.
Maybe start a new topic on it so you get a broader audience and attract people with more experience on mounting issues.
OneArmedBandit5. Juli 2016 at 14:59 #21213
Those are the main steps indeed. You might also need to do something to install/configure the digipi+ and make sure squeezelite uses it as an output but that should be very straightforward as well (I have a similar set-up but I use bluetooth instead of an extra soundcard)
Be aware that the 2A adapter might be on the edge for this. I regularly had the „low power“ symbol when I first started working with the RPi3 and the touchscreen (different usage though, not max2play). I don’t understand why vendors don’t supply or at least advice for a 2,5A or a 3A PSU when buying the 7″ Touchscreen.
OneArmedBandit5. Juli 2016 at 14:44 #21210
Not sure if it’s still the case but the early RaspBian images for the RPi3 had wifi power management turned on by default which caused this unstable and bad working Wifi. I don’t know if max2play fixed that in their image (can’t check now) but it sounds like you were suffering from that.
You can check this by running:
And look for: “Power Management:”
You can change it by running the following to see if it makes a difference:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
If it does, here’s more info on how to make it permanent http://www.modmypi.com/blog/disable-wifi-power-management but I’m sure max2play will (or have already) make it default in their image.
Funny, I’m slowly moving away from OSMC and OpenELEC because I want more then „just Kodi“ and I prefer more flexibility 😉