Nooby: want to modify RPi w/ Max2Play to include a Node Proxy Service

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Nooby: want to modify RPi w/ Max2Play to include a Node Proxy Service

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • 25. August 2017 at 17:30 #30920

Hello, this is my first post in the forum. I am brand new to Max2Play, as well as coding/RaspberryPi/etc. I originally set up my RPi3 with Raspbian, and installed a SmartThings Node Proxy service in order to connect my Russound multi-zone controller to my RPi3. I then decided that I wanted LogitechMediaServer and tried to install the player and server, but I ran into problems.

That’s when I found Max2Play. I installed Max2Play on my RPi3 and got everything related to the LMS up and running. Now, I want to go back and add my SmartThings Node Proxy. To do this before using Max2Play, I installed the latest version of Node and NPM and then installed the package dependencies specific for this.

I want to reach out via this forum to see if there is any insight into my desire to add a node proxy service to run alongside anything Max2Play is running, and whether or not this could create additional problems for Max2Play.

Any insight is appreciated, and my apologies ahead of time for being a new to all of this.

28. August 2017 at 12:47 #30936

Hi dcsooner,

Our current image is based on Raspbian Jessie lite. So if you find an implementation for that OS, you can try installing it on your existing Max2Play system. We have not yet tried anything similar to this service so we cannot guarantee that it will work. However, you can quickly create a backup of you current image with our image burner plugin and start testing around.

I would also recommend you try using the Plugin Builder because it makes adding new features to Max2Play that much easier. Our head developer did a nice tutorial on how it works and how easy it is to create your own plugins. Once you got something working, you just share the .tar file here and I’d be happy to test it out as well and give feedback 😉

28. August 2017 at 18:00 #30956

Thanks for the reply, Heiner.

I agree that using the Plugin Builder will be the best solution long-term. I need to spend the time learning more about using it. In the meantime to check and see if I could get it working with no problems, I installed the „Remote Control“ plugin and used the terminal to install the latest version of Node and my package dependencies for my SmartThings Node Proxy. So far, the service is running without any problems, and I’m able to control my Russound multi-zone controller from any device using a SmartApp within SmartThings. The next step will be to re-create everything within the Plugin Builder.

I really appreciate you willing to test it out and provide feedback! I will definitely take you up on that, as you might be able to give better insight into my method for making the service auto start at bootup.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here