Multiroom player, using 3.5mm audio output

Max2Play Home Forums General Questions on Hardware and Max2Play Versions Multiroom player, using 3.5mm audio output

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 24. Januar 2021 at 17:47 #50639

Hi all,

I’ve been a M2P member now for quite some time and I’m still blown over how brilliant it is and professional the people are who manage the website and the development M2P. So thanks for your support.

However, now it’s time to expand my system so that I can play my music in various locations but I’m having issues and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please.

All I need is to use the 2 players, not including my main unit. At the moment I have an M2P with a 2TB drive connected to it, I access my Flac files via my Squeezebox touch, or Squeezer app on my phone.

All I need is to use is a basic bones setup using the 3.5mm audio out or USE A USB DAC. But all I can find is pi’s with additional audio or DAC cards in them. Hope someone can help.

Thanks All

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Alex.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Alex.
    25. Januar 2021 at 17:19 #50647

Hi Alex,

If you are looking for instructions on how to set up a multiroom audio system with Max2Play, this series of articles might help you: https://www.max2play.com/en/2019/01/step-by-step-multiroom-audio-setup-with-max2play/

The basics are as follows: You need a device on which the Squeezebox server runs (you should already have that). Then you need a Raspberry Pi (with a sound card if necessary) for each room or for each pair of speakers or for each audio output device in general. A Squeezelite player should run on each of these Raspberry Pis. Then all players must be connected to the server (if only one server is running in the network, all players should be connected automatically). Now you can control or synchronize the players individually via the server.

25. Januar 2021 at 18:12 #50652

Hi Mario, thanks for getting back to me.
    I have tried to follow that link before and it mentions different audio/ DAC cards so that’s when I got lost as I just need the bare bones setup using either the 3.5mm audio out or a usb DAC ( sorry I was editing my last post as this came through),

I did try and follow the instructions but just couldn’t get my head around how to set this up in a very basic state.

Maybe this might be another option. I have a Logitech touch, it allows me to synchronise a player to it. I have in the kitchen which works brilliantly . So, I built another player, but the touch can’t see that at all. So, then I built another, this time it was a pi4. Again it couldn’t see that either. If it could, then I’m ok, I can use that. So maybe if I can’t use the multiroom setup, I could use this as another option. Hope this makes sense, thanks again Mario.

EDIT: Mario, I have just installed the “multi squeeze” plugin and I think I have done the right things but when I hit the start squeezelite button, it’s saying “Trying to launch…NOT successful. This is on my player, not my main server with my hard drive attached to it. I feel I’ve missed something but I’m not sure what. Also, when I use squeezer, I have a choice of playing on the Touch or my kitchen player. Once set up, is this where I can pick this player once working. Sorry for the trouble.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Alex.
    27. Januar 2021 at 14:47 #50661

Hi Alex,

I would recommend you to install the Squeezebox Server on one of the Pis. In its web interface you should then see all active Squeezelite players and all Squeezebox servers in the home network (top right in the player selection). If several servers appear there (in bold) then a server is already running on another Pi or on your Squeezebox Touch. In this case, you should ensure that only one Squeezebox server is running in the home network (e.g. by removing the autostart from the server on the Pi) and that you have access to its web interface. In the article „Kitchen“ of the article series you will find further information on how you can control and synchronize the players via the web interface (regardless of whether you are using a sound card or not)..

You only need Multisqueeze if you want to use several sound outputs on a Pi, such as the jack output of the Pi and the output of a connected sound card. All you need for your project is the Squeezelite Player in the audio player tab.

To use the Pi’s jack output, check whether „sysdefault …“ has been selected as the audio output in the Squeezelite advanced options.

28. Januar 2021 at 15:51 #50676

Hi Mario
    I’ve just tried to post my reply twice and it’s not yet appeared so this is to let you know that I have replied to you. If it has not arrived in a few hours I will resend it. Thanks
    It keeps saying Error, Ive already sent a duplicate

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Alex.
    28. Januar 2021 at 15:57 #50678

Hi Mario

1. I have uploaded the SB server on „DACpi“ (this will be my main M2P with the hard drive attached to it) and turned off the SB server’s on the other 3 pi’s and also turned of autostart to them. I have NOT removed them, just not activated them.

The Pi’s are
    1. Dac Pi
    2. Kitchen Pi
    3. Rp4 Pi
    4. Garage Pi
    5. SB Touch

If I then go to the individual M2P web pages of each pi and look at the Network Look up I get this ( Meaning, The other PI’s I can see)
    Dac Pi I can see only the Dac Pi
    Rp4 Pi I can see only the Rp4 Pi
    Kitchen Pi I can see all of them (not SB touch)
    Garage Pi I can see all of them (not SB touch)
    Plus some show the names I gave them, some show only the PI address, not sure if this is what I should do ?

Also, when this is all working, can I control them with Squeezer (or Ipeng etc) which is what I use now, or do I have to use the Logitech Media Server?

I did follow your advice about synchronizing them but when I went to the Logitech media server page and go to the dropdown player tab for the DAC pi (my main PI)I can see the kitchen player and the SB touch. I can’t see the Rp4 or the Garage player.

Please note…I have a mesh system alongside my router, so while doing this they were all on the same wifi. So it can’t be that they are on different networks that causing this. Hope you can please help as I’ve looked around the forum and I’m struggling to find an answer.
    Thanks for trying to help its really appreciated.

29. Januar 2021 at 15:17 #50683

Hi Alex,

You can use Squeezer or iPeng, these are only visualizations of the Squeezebox server for the smartphone. So you still need the server, but you can control the server via the app and not via the web interface. Of course, this means that some functions are missing in the apps, but they are good for controlling playback.

Even if all players should be in the same network, please check again whether they can all be reached. For testing purposes, for example, it would be good if you could connect all players to the router via LAN. If all players are still not visible for the server, we have to keep looking for a solution. Nevertheless, I think it’s a network problem. Please also check again that Squeezelite is running on all devices.

29. Januar 2021 at 16:49 #50687

Hi Mario

Thanks again for the help.

Right, there was only the kitchen player running SQLITE.
    So I went into the other three and all came up with this when I tried to run SQLITE.

Trying to launch … NOT successful Click here to show detailed information
    squeezelite: pcm_params.c:170: snd1_pcm_hw_param_get_min: Assertion `!snd_interval_empty(i)‘ failed.

so I updated them, and still got the same message. I’m sorry but it means not a lot to me so I was hoping you might have a better idea on what this is saying.
    Thanks again Alex

2. Februar 2021 at 17:35 #50706

Hi Alex,

Please send me the debug log from one of these Squeezelite players. You’ll find it at the bottom of the „Audio Player“ page. I suspect that the audio output of squeezelite is not set correctly yet. Is it set to „sysdefault …“?

2. Februar 2021 at 18:23 #50718

Hi Mario,

Thanks for coming back to me, it’s appreciated.

I hope this is what you mean..

Alex

queezelite Max2Play v1.0.3 based on v1.8.7-999, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2017 Ralph Irving.

#### SQUEEZELITE BUILDOPTIONS ####
    Build options: LINUX ALSA EVENTFD RESAMPLE FFMPEG VISEXPORT IR GPIO DSD CONTROLSBS ALSASYNC BLUETOOTHSYNC

#### AUDIOPLAYER CONFIG ####
    ### Configuration of Audioplayers
    SQUEEZELITE_PARAMETER=-o plug:jack -a 80::: -C 5
    SQUEEZESLAVE_PARAMETER=-n plugequal
    SHAIRPORT_PARAMETER=-d plug:jack
    USE_USB_DAC=0
    USE_EQUALIZER=0
    SYSTEM_USER=pi
    MULTISQUEEZE_PLAYERCOUNT=1
    MULTISQUEEZE_NAME_0=Garage Player
    MULTISQUEEZE_PARAMETER_0=-o plug:jack
    GMEDIARENDERER_ALSA_DEVICE=plug:jack

#### SQUEEZELITE -l ####
    Output devices:
    null – Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    jack – JACK Audio Connection Kit
    pulse – PulseAudio Sound Server
    equal
    plugequal – Equalizer for plughw:0,0
    default:CARD=Headphones – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=Headphones – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Default Audio Device
    dmix:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0 – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0 – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0 – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0 – bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones – Hardware device with all software conversions
    usbstream:CARD=Headphones – bcm2835 Headphones – USB Stream Output

#### SHAIRPORT (SYNC) VERSION ####
    3.3.1-OpenSSL-Avahi-ALSA-soxr-sysconfdir:/usr/local/etc

#### OUTPUT SOUND DETAILS CARD 0 ####
    closed

#### OUTPUT SOUND DETAILS CARD 1 ####

2. Februar 2021 at 18:28 #50720

Hi Alex,

Please set the audio output in the advanced Squeezelite options of your players to „sysdefault…“ (where „jack“ is currently selected). Then you should be able to start Squeezelite.

2. Februar 2021 at 19:00 #50721

Hi Mario

Wow, that was quick.

I’ve just left home and will be back later tonight so I’ll try it then. Can’t wait to give it a go
    I’ll let you know what happens.
    Brilliant 😄😄Thanks

2. Februar 2021 at 21:26 #50722

Brilliant Mario
    Excellent, I can now see all players and my touch, can’t tell you how grateful I am. What an awesome thing M2P is. Thanks so much.

I’ve not had chance to try them all, but the kitchen player works fine and I can sync my touch with any of the players,so looking darn good.

But, just another question. I need to have at least one of these players to work on Bluetooth ( pairing with a dot) . Once the BT PLUGIN has been installed, do I need to choose the output, like you got me to do here in SQLITE or maybe in the raspberry pi settings ?
    And I’ll need a 3.5mm jack plug output on one of the others, how would I set this up on a player?
    I’d appreciate if you could help on these please. Thanks Mario

EDIT: Hi, I installed the BT plugin and a little tweaking, but now I have exactly what I’ve wanted for years actually. So BIG thanks to you Mario, really appreciate your help. T

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Alex. Reason: EDIT: NOW WORKING
    4. Februar 2021 at 14:10 #50731

Hi Alex,

I am pleased that everything is now working correctly. If you have any new questions or problems arise, you are welcome to open a thread in the forum again.

4. Februar 2021 at 16:10 #50738

Thanks for all your help Mario, it’s just perfect, better than I imagined . You guys ROCK !!!!Thanks 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here