Display brightness

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2. Januar 2017 at 22:52 #25370

Can we have control of the RPi 7″ touchscreen brightness via Jivelite?

13. Januar 2017 at 15:20 #25858

Hi epkepk,
    Currently, there is no option to change the brightness of the touchdisplay. However, you can select the black screen as a screensaver and have it start after a few seconds to ensure minimal power usage.

12. Februar 2017 at 8:03 #26856

I would also like to see a screen brightness control made available. Exposing that feature would not be difficult as it can be done through a command line argument to the official Raspberry Pi display.

13. Februar 2017 at 13:18 #26872

Dear apakett,

We will consider to add this feature to your display plugin, but also you can have a look at this source:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/46225/adjusting-the-brightness-of-the-official-touchscreen-display

Best Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

13. Februar 2017 at 21:30 #26911

With Max2Play I do not have direct access to a command line. Adding the command to Squeezelite Command Line Options caused Squeezelite to not start.

14. Februar 2017 at 12:58 #26917

Dear apakett,

You can apply the commands in the link we sent you using bash ssh session, not in the Squeezelite Command Line, and in order to apply these commands you need to install the following plugin:

https://www.max2play.com/en/portfolio/plugin-remote-control/

Best Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

16. Februar 2017 at 21:45 #26999

The remote control installed without incident.

Following the instructions for changing display brightness I am getting a Permission denied error:

max2play login: pi
    Password:
    Linux max2play 4.4.47-v7+ #961 SMP Sun Feb 5 20:17:00 GMT 2017 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    pi@max2play:~ $ echo 128 > /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness
    -bash: /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness: Permission denied

I tried to login as „root“ but that username was not allowed. Using the „sudo“ prefix also did not work.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by apakett.
    20. Februar 2017 at 14:25 #27039

Hi apakett,

You can use this command to over come the permission problem, you open the brightness file and write the value between 0-255:

pi@max2play:/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight $ sudo nano brightness

Regards,
    Mohammad

20. Februar 2017 at 20:05 #27060

I was able to change the brightness file but it had no effect on the display. I tried 128 and 64. Is there a way to apply the change? Rebooting the Pi did nothing to the display.

21. Februar 2017 at 12:15 #27078

Dear apakett,

Please make sure that you saved the file correctly, there is no need to restart the pi, also make sure that you have the latest version of max2play, which is 2.41

We have test the brightness on our lab and it works fine, and we are considering to add this functionality to our display plugin.

Best Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

21. Februar 2017 at 16:54 #27094

I went back into the Brightness file and the new value was there. To save the value I changed the file attribute to R/W. The system is running Max2play 2.41 (released version). The file Actual_brightness shows the value entered.

My setup consists of Audio Player running Squeezelite, Squeezebox Server, Jivelite, RPi-Display, HiFiBerry, Filesystem, Raspberry Settings, and Remote Control. The hardware is a Raspberry Pi model 3 and a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro.

I am interested in reducing the screen saver clock brightness.

Thanks for your continued help.

22. Februar 2017 at 12:11 #27111

Dear apakett,

Unfortunately, we can not provide you a solution now to control the screen saver clock brightness, we think about it and get back to you soon.

Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

23. Februar 2017 at 7:47 #27161

Thanks for looking into this. It seems to me that controlling brightness belongs in the display software like all other Operating Systems. That is probably beyond the scope of M2P but it would help for them to take the lead.

23. Februar 2017 at 12:38 #27165

Dear apakett,

You are very welcome, we are always trying to help 🙂

Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

15. März 2017 at 22:30 #27765

I have just found this thread. I would also be happy to get control over the display brightness, especially for the screensaver.

Thanks,
    a2kwik4u

20. März 2017 at 12:10 #27799

Hi a2kwik4u

We are happy to help, if you have other questions just post it on our forum.

Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

2. Juli 2017 at 11:11 #29776

As mentioned in the following thread i would prefere as it said here when it is possible to set up the brightness of displays with a controller (maybe 1-100%) to regulate the brightness.
    Maybe it should be possible to set up the brightness in generals behaviour and a special set up for the screensaver.

I look forward to see a feature like this in future 😀

18. März 2018 at 21:01 #34513

BUMP

1 year later…

Brightness control and screen backlight power off after XX mins timeout also very much appreciated here!

2. August 2019 at 11:36 #46638

Hi,

I would also find it desirable that you implement a feature where the brightness can be controlled. Especially needed for the screen saver feature.

Ulrik

20. Dezember 2019 at 1:03 #47818

Same here. I believe this is the only thing that is missing and we all still need. Screen off(after x min) and brightness %

I hope you can do that.

Re Primož

3. März 2021 at 23:01 #50875

Well, I will give a +1 for the recommendation to control the display brightness !!

To be honest, I gave Volumio a try in the meantime (using m2p and the former version of it since years), but Volumio looked promissing and interesting. One feature they have is exactly the possibility to control the brightness.
    Even better than that is the function, to POWER OFF the 7″ Screen after a defined time when not playing !

That is, from my point of view, an essential function as more and more users integrate this player not only as a diy-project more than an alternative to a cd-player or other devices (so did I).

So could you please be so kind and give this feature request a higher priority ?
    From the technically point, it is possible 😉

Thanks for your great work you guys did until today…

5. März 2021 at 15:29 #50883

Hi Martin,

Thanks again for the suggestion. I have now moved the topic a bit forward on our developer’s agenda. Unfortunately he is very busy right now, so I can’t say how long it will be before he can take the time to implement this feature. But I agree that this would be a useful feature.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here