Wifi Speaker Compatibilty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 10. August 2018 at 7:15 #36900

Hi there.

I’m a new user to Max2Play. I’ve had an actual Logitech Squeeze box many man years ago and got rid of it so I’m a little familar
    with the squeeze server.

I was helping out a client with their wifi the other day and noticed that they had a Sonos system throughout their home.
    I picked up a Sonos One and then returned it after I found out that it doesn’t play 24bit/196khz. Thats when I turned
    to Raspberry Pi’s and Max2Play.

I currently have two Pis one connected to the living TV via HDMI and the second connected to the TV in the bedroom, also
    through HDMI. Both are working really well. My family can airplay from their iPhones and I can play music on my Android using the
    Orange Player.

The next thing I wanted to do was find a Wifi, not Bluetooth, speaker like a Sonos or Bluesound that I could integrate into this setup.
    Is there such a speaker?

Thank you in advance!

10. August 2018 at 17:16 #36908

Any recommendations on DLNA speakers? I found a Pioneer, A4 XW-SMA4-K, but it looks like its no long available.

Thank you.

13. August 2018 at 13:24 #36939

Hi Ryan,

As mentioned this is an outside work-around. In general, we recommend using Raspberry Pi + Sound Card combinations for each zone in a multiroom environment. You can combine Pi3 + Amp header + any passive speakers for a simple setup.

We cannot recommend any specific DLNA speaker as we do not offer or test any.

13. August 2018 at 17:52 #36953

ok thank you for your input.

I came up with a solution. I’m using Distinct Sounds W7 Wifi speakers. They have WIFI, bluetooth, ethernet, optical in and 3.5mm jack. I’m attaching a Pi to the top of them and then, for now, running a 3.5mm cable from the Pi to the speaker. In the future I hope to add an optical card so I can go optical into the speaker.

I have 3 of these setup currently and they are working out amazingly! My family can Airplay to each of them and then using either iPeng(iOS) or OrangeSqueeze(Android) we can sync the players! Very cool! I also like that this option, unlike Sonos, BlueSound and even Difintive Sounds solutions, allow me to integrate other speakers and receivers into this setup.

AMAZING!

Ro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here