Using the input-function of Hifiberry DAC+ ADC Pro

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Using the input-function of Hifiberry DAC+ ADC Pro

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1. November 2019 at 12:25 #47460

I am interested in feeding the squeezebox server with the signal of my analog turntable. The DAC+ ADC Pro has an input-function and I am wondering if there is a way.

Using 2 Raspberry Pi 3 and 2 Zero W as a Multiroom system.

Thank you for your feedback.

5. November 2019 at 16:11 #47472

Hi hans,

Your project sounds interesting! Please let us know whether it worked and share your experiences with us! We are always looking forward to new Max2Play projects from our community.

17. November 2019 at 22:20 #47548

Hi hans,

the mentioned link worked for me so far – using the ADC with an „logitech bluetooth adapter“/“direct-line-in“ by mobile phone.

Be carful about the wavin-favourite-url which has to be namend „wavin:sysdefault“ instead of „wavin:default“ in my case – as this is the name of my card named under „audioplayer/advanced options/soundcard“ in max2play.

Sound has a lag of up to 5 sec before starting/stopping playback. / Volume-output on mobile-phone has to be very low, otherwise there will be peaks & scratches in the playback – this might be solved in regulating the inputpeak somewhere, but i haven’t found the option yet.

good luck!

17. November 2019 at 23:18 #47549

Well, no luck so far from my side.

Using the Rpi 3 and a preamp with my turntable and following the procedures of the mentioned link.

Streaming works fine (spotify, radio etc.) but the analog input does not work. I tried wavin:default and wavin:sysdefault, both are not working.

Any hints are welcome 🙂

Hans

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by hans hamburg.
    20. Mai 2020 at 16:47 #48826

Hi everyone,

just a quick update on Waveinput with Max2Play: If you use the Waveinput plugin in the LMS, enter „wavin:plughw:1“ as the URL when adding a favorite. The number behind „plughw:“ corresponds to the slot assigned to your sound card. Use the „arecord -l“ command (small L) to find out which one it is.

25. Mai 2020 at 11:19 #48849

Hi MarioM

Thanks for the tip, were you using Raspbian or a M2P build?
    With M2P i have setup a LMS without the player locally installed but I can’t this working; my Squeezelite Player syncs with LMS and plays the waveinput favorite but nothing is playing through.

Kane

26. Mai 2020 at 15:08 #48858

Hi Kane,

I tested it with the Max2Play distribution and the HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC. For it to work, the LMS must run on the device that has the sound card with input attached.

15. November 2020 at 3:36 #50219

Hi-

I, too, am having issues with the DAC + ADC PRO. This model has a different dtoverlay, for this one it should be dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplusadcpro
    There are a number of differences in the chip used on this model, which include customized amixer settings and a PGA for the input gain.

Since M2P does not know about this card, it forces you to use hifiberry-dacplusadc, and the PGA settings get set to maximum and the amixer settings are inaccessible which results in unrecognizably distorted input when used with line level inputs from a phono preamp. In fact, the gain is so high, even direct cartridge connection to the input is still too high (let alone missing the RIAA equalization curve).

So, basically, we need a specific output device entry for this card so it sets the correct dtoverlay on boot. The custom amixer settings for input, bias, and gain could be left to /boot/config.txt because for me these are ’set once and forget‘ parameters.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by krell. Reason: expand issue/resoluion
    17. November 2020 at 17:09 #50265

Hi krell,

Thanks for the hint! We haven’t had our hands on the ADC Pro yet and have therefore not yet added it to the sound card selection. Correspondingly, there may still be problems with the drivers.

17. November 2020 at 20:52 #50275

So, I got it limping along, but with issues…

Since the U/I does not know about the overlay for hifiberry-dacplusadcpro.dtbo, I went in and instantiated a copy of DAC+ADC, calling it DAC+ADC Pro, in /var/www/max2play/application/plugins/hifiberry/controller/Setup.php, and having it configure the dtoverlay to hifiberry-dacplusadcpro. Verified that config.txt was set to the appropriate driver, added some amixer settings to override input defaults (input selection, gains, turn off mic bias, etc.) rebooted and the interfaces came up as expected. I also did an apt update and upgrade to ensure I had the latest (along with all the other patches and security upgrades that have been neglected up to this point).

With this, card Input works as expected, the input LED comes on, audio is captured, and I can fine-adjust input gains with alsamixer.

Now, what is happening, is nominally every 90sec (varies from 2sec to 2min) I get a single sample full-scale ‚POP‘ at random on either the right or left channel (never both at the same time). I’ve cross-posted this issue with Hifiberry as well. Since it is a single-sample, the tweeters are the only speaker taking the hit. I’ve since switched back to the DAC+PRO driver and the popping is gone, but input is not working either.

Thanks

UPDATE: Chatting with the Hifiberry folks, the principal difference between DAC+ADC and DAC+ADC PRO has to do with clocking. Apparently the PRO model uses an internal clock, so the RPi must slave from this clock. I do not yet know if this difference applies to DAC+PRO and DAC+ADC PRO.

CORRECTION and confirmation from Hifiberry: DAC+ADC uses the RPi clock. DAC+ADC PRO uses a clock generated on the hat.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by krell. Reason: add update and additional information
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by krell.
    20. November 2020 at 20:41 #50295

Thinking about this application further, assuming the clocking issue is resolved, it would be nice to have the option for a low-latency path between the ADC and the DAC similar to the bluetooth input path. Operating through Slim introduces tons of latency as well as transcoding, and if I’m not trying to bounce the sound to another room, it would be nice to have a more direct path for local playing of records.

25. November 2020 at 12:58 #50338

Hi krell,

The driver for the ADC Pro should now be included in our beta update. However, we don’t have an ADC Pro to test the driver here. So it may be that some adjustments have to be made in Squeezelite so that everything works properly. Nevertheless, you are welcome to test it out.
    Unfortunately, a direct streaming solution for the ADC is not very easy. It would have to be done via a loopback ALSA command. An arecord/aplay combination could possibly also work. Depending on the application, this is quite difficult to implement. We’ll keep that in mind, but can’t say if and when we will add this feature.

13. März 2022 at 0:18 #52125

All,

I just made it with the DAC+ADC pro. Find the details here: https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/topic/cannot-stream-the-line-in-from-hifiberry-dac-adc-through-squeezbox-server/#post-52124

Best
    Jochen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here