Updating the Logitech Media Server from the Command Line

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play as Squeezebox (Player / Server) Updating the Logitech Media Server from the Command Line

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 18. Mai 2016 at 17:30 #20186

I can see the message to update my Logitech Media Server at the bottom of my squeezebox screen. When I click on the link, I get the instructions below. I’m not exactly sure how to get to the command line with Max2Play. Would someone please let me know how to do that? Is there another method? Also, I assume this won’t ‚break‘ Max2Play, but with updates who knows. Anyone have experience with upgrading that they can share?

UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS FROM LOGITECH

An updated version of Logitech Media Server is available and ready to install.

On some Linux distributions we provide an automatic download of Logitech Media Server update installers. These currently are available for .rpm and .deb based systems.

Your Logitech Media Server has downloaded the latest installer to the following location:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1463151428_arm.deb

Please execute the following steps to bring your Logitech Media Server installation up to date:

Run the following command to execute the installer
    sudo dpkg -i /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1463151428_arm.deb

Latest Changes (all changes)

23. Mai 2016 at 18:19 #20232

I have a similar question: How can I update the squeezebox server? Will it keep all settings if I just go to the page in max2play and hit install Version 7.9? Or will this just give me a clean install and all settings are lost?

Thanks in advance, fblu

25. Mai 2016 at 21:05 #20296

@wmupchurch

It’s quite simple, i’ll show you how to do it with a raspberry pi. Should also work with any other device running max2play, just the username / password might be different.
    Get the tool „putty“ and open it.
    Insert the ip of your device or try it with max2play or whatever name you have given your device. (Leave the port 22 as it is)
    If this is your first connection, you may have to confirm a message which might show up.
    A new window should now open up asking you for a username. Enter „pi“ (without „), hit enter and insert the password „raspberry“ (also without the „).
    Now you are almost finished. Just copy and paste (a simple right click will paste it into the putty window) the line you got in the update info from your server eg.:
    sudo dpkg -i /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1463151428_arm.deb
    and execute it. It may take a few seconds but once you can enter a new command its finished.

I’ve updated my LMS a few times and it was and never a problem. In case you are afraid to loose anything, just create a backup-image of your SD-card so you can restore it anytime. (im using the „USB Image Tool“ for backups)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Drakexz.
    26. Mai 2016 at 14:50 #20311

Drakexz,

Thank you very much! Your process worked great. I did have to revisit the instruction page in the squeezebox server web administration page to get a new link to the software, but that is because they must have changed it since this was posted. For anyone who is trying to do this, make sure that the link to where the files were downloaded is correct.

You should be able to find your link here: http://max2play:9000/updateinfo.html?installerFile=/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1463778102_arm.deb

If not, just click on the message on the bottom left of the web administration page to see the information you need.

26. Mai 2016 at 16:21 #20317

Hi,

you may also just click install to get the latest nightly or 7.9 version on the „Squeezebox Server“ tab of the web interface. Your settings will not be changed. This will automatically load the latest available package from the download pages and install them.

10. August 2016 at 16:40 #22164

Flysurfer. As I understand it LMS automatically downloads the new nightly. Is there a way max2play could check this so it doesn’t;t have to download twice. Also is there a way of directly accessing the command line from within max2play without having to use PuTTy?

3. September 2016 at 16:10 #22858

Hi

I got this following message whenever I tried to install Squeezebox Server

LMS-Version not existing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here