Shairport Latency

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 15. September 2017 at 9:54 #31339

I’m using Max2Play with a RPI3 and a Justboom AMP as sound system in my living room and so far it’s a great thing.

As I am watching TV using a computer running Win7 i have installed tuneblade and stream the sound to the RPI.
    My problem is the long latency of 250ms even when setting tuneblade to „realtime streaming mode“, which is just to much for watching TV or music videos. As far as I can understand the whole setup this delay is due to the buffer size at the shairport side.

I already found tutorials like this one: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76839 on how to set the buffer size but that does not work (no change in latency).

How can the delay be configured to be as short as possible? The connection between the computer and the RPI is established with a 1000/100 mbit/s network with just one single switch between, so the network will be very stable and with short latency to prevent any buffer underruns…

thanks a lot,
    Tom

15. September 2017 at 11:52 #31340

Hi Tom,

The easiest way to avoid issues with third party software like tuneblade is to use the built-in DLNA protocol that works natively on Windows.

But we will look into this issue and try to see what might go wrong in this setup. In the meantime, you can try using shairtunes2 plugin for Squeezebox playback to see whether it produces the same issue.

16. September 2017 at 10:05 #31351

Hi Heiner,

I’ve now tried the following options:
    1) with shairport2 plugin tuneblade says „latency 1000ms“. For some reason i do not get any sound output, but 1000ms would be way too much anyway…
    2) I don’t think Win7 can provide realtime streaming of any (=chrome, media player, DVBViewer,…) sound played on the computer natively so I installed „Stream What You Hear“:
    2a) using gmediarender as DLNA client I get sound with gaps, like 1000ms sound and 100ms no sound. Estimated latency is about 2000ms.
    2b) I’ve seen that squeezebox server provides a DLNA client plugin. I can connect to it but i hear no sound.
    2c) Stream What You Hear has the function „HTTP streaming“. I can connect to the HTTP stream using Squeezebox but latency is also about 2000ms.

So far, the best result I had was still using tuneblade + shairport. If we could just get latency down to maybe 50ms by a command line parameter or recompiling it myself with adapted buffer size it would be a great thing.

best regards,
    Tom

p.s. I tried Win7 as DLNA server. streaming a mp3 to my raspberry/gmediarender with just a right click really works fine.

18. September 2017 at 13:44 #31369

Hi tom,

2b) MAke sure your player and server are properly connected in the LMS web interface. You can further go into the LMS settings to check out whether the DLNA plugin runs correctly. For shairport, you can also check out the creators documentation for more info: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here