Running Multiple Raspberry Pi's

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play as Squeezebox (Player / Server) Running Multiple Raspberry Pi's

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 27. August 2016 at 3:51 #22669

I have just started up a 2nd Pi and I’m a bit confused about how LMS servers and instances of Squeezelite interact and how to configure.

I followed the same installation process on both Pi’s so now (I think) I have 2 servers running. I can go to port 9000 on either server and control either player. But they don’t always behave well (I won’t explain) and I think I should really only be running one server.

I’m going to try shutting down one server and see how it goes.

Am I reading this right? Can anyone point me to a site / page that explains these principles of operation.

Thanks!

Tim

1. September 2016 at 17:58 #22834

It’s actually quite simple, only one server is needed. All the others can be players (the server can also run a player at the same time if needed)
    Every Pi has to have its own playername (can be changed in the settings / reboot tab.)
    e.g.
    max2playserver for the server
    max2playroom1 for the first player
    max2playroom2 for the second player
    Just make sure to choose a different name for each Pi.

Once the server and all the players are up and running, go to the webinterface of the logitech media server.
    In the top right corner, there is a drop-down menu from where you can select each player.

Thats it, all players are running with the same server.

You can also choose to synchronise 2 players to play always at the same time.

1. September 2016 at 19:15 #22835

Thank you. That has helped!

22. August 2018 at 20:36 #37144

Hi, I’m new to the forum and have searched for posts that may relate to the problem I am having. This appears to be the closest to my issue, but apologies if this issue has been answered elsewhere.
    I have a pi model B with HifiBerry Digi running as an audio player using LMS and Squeezelite with music stored on a NAS drive. This is running headless and has been for many years. It has a static IP address. I can access it via VNC from my laptop or PC and SSH into it no problem.
    I have now acquired another Pi (a model B+) and fitted it with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro XLR. I copied the original SD card I had (as this was working so well) and gave it a new static IP address along with changing the audiocard to the DAC+ Pro.
    Both setups are plugged via ethernet into my router and work fine if I have them switched on individually, however, if i have them both powered and booted up at the same time, only one of them will play music. If I shut down the one that is playing, the other one starts to play. Both Pi’s have different names and different IP addresses and I can access them from VNC as expected.
    On the Max2play WiFi/lan page it mentions Configure MAC address, but when I ifconfig both systems they have different MAC addresses already.
    I’m sure that this is a network related issue but I don’t know how to fix it. I thought that if the 2 systems had different IP and MAC addresses then they would both play music.
    Inspection of my router shows both pi’s with different IPs and MACs but if i change the name of one of them it changes both. I cannot understand how this can happen.
    I’d greatly appreciate a steer on this issue as I want to have both running so that I can compare the sound from the digi to the DAC.
    best regards, Ken.

23. August 2018 at 9:35 #37179

Hi Ken,

The easiest thing you try is burn a new image. Since your primary Pi only needs the NAS mounted for LMS, you only need to do a few clicks to set up the other with a new image as a player. If the problem should persist in this case, please copy and paste the debug info from the wiFi/LAN plugin.

26. August 2018 at 8:30 #37314

Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt response. I have downloaded the latest image and set it as a player only. I can see it as a player on my primary Pi and so can select this and all is good.
    I did notice that the option to install VNC as a plug in has gone with this latest version. Not desperately important but handy as the player is headless. Are there plans to re-instate VNC?
    Cheers.

27. August 2018 at 10:40 #37543

Hi ken,

Sorry about that, the VNC plugin is still available. You have to install it from our plugin library (Features -> Extensions).

1. Oktober 2018 at 13:07 #38281

Hello,
    I have also two Max2Play devices running on RPi and therefore bought two licenses last week (booth with mulitsqueeze).
    Unfortunately, the devices only work individually, so I suspect a problem with the licenses. Can you help me with that?
    With both players my email address is stored and the license is active.

Thanks,
    Patrick

1. Oktober 2018 at 14:08 #38283

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your request.

Please renaming both devices if you have not yet. Also, check MultiSqueeze that you do not have overlapping names or output devices selected.

When you say they only work individually, does it mean you cannot access or you cannot boot one of the Pi’s when the other is running?
    When you cannot access them, can you still see the players in the Squeezebox Server overview?
    Are you using WiFi or ethernet cable for connection to your network?

If you can still access the web interface, please copy and paste the Audioplayer debug info here.

1. Oktober 2018 at 14:33 #38290

Hello,
    thank you for your quick reaction.

Both devices have different names, both multisquezze instances have different names.
    If both RPi are on, I can access both websites (also switch via DropDown) but in the LMS only the players of one RPi are available at a time. I use wifi and ethernet.

Do I have to enter the license code and not my mail address?

I can only deliver logfiles tonight.

Regards
    Patrick

2. Oktober 2018 at 11:48 #38321

Hi,
    now the logfiles:

RPi 1

#### SQUEEZELITE VERSION ####
    Squeezelite Max2Play v1.0.2 based on v1.8.4-726, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2016 Ralph Irving.

#### AUDIOPLAYER CONFIG ####
    ### Configuration of Audioplayers
    SQUEEZELITE_PARAMETER=-o sysdefault:CARD=ALSA -a 80::: -C 5
    SQUEEZESLAVE_PARAMETER=-n plugequal
    SHAIRPORT_PARAMETER=-d sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
    USE_USB_DAC=0
    USE_EQUALIZER=1
    SYSTEM_USER=pi
    YMPD_PARAMETER=--webport 8081
    MULTISQUEEZE_PLAYERCOUNT=2
    MULTISQUEEZE_NAME_1=BadOG_Wanne
    MULTISQUEEZE_PARAMETER_1=-o default:CARD=Device_1 -a 80:4::
    MULTISQUEEZE_NAME_0=BadOG_Decke
    MULTISQUEEZE_PARAMETER_0=-o default:CARD=Device -a 80:4::

#### SQUEEZELITE -l ####
    Output devices:
    null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    equal 
    plugequal - Equalizer for plughw:0,0
    default:CARD=Device_1 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=Device_1 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
    default:CARD=Device - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=Device - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
    default:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
    dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Hardware device with all software conversions

RPi 2

#### SQUEEZELITE VERSION ####
    Squeezelite Max2Play v1.0.2 based on v1.8.4-726, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2016 Ralph Irving.

#### AUDIOPLAYER CONFIG ####
    ### Configuration of Audioplayers
    SQUEEZELITE_PARAMETER=-o plug:equal -a 80:::
    SQUEEZESLAVE_PARAMETER=-n plugequal
    SHAIRPORT_PARAMETER=-d plug:equal
    USE_USB_DAC=1
    USE_EQUALIZER=0
    SYSTEM_USER=pi
    YMPD_PARAMETER=--webport 8081
    MULTISQUEEZE_PLAYERCOUNT=2
    MULTISQUEEZE_NAME_0=Kueche
    MULTISQUEEZE_PARAMETER_0=-o default:CARD=Device -a 80:4::
    MULTISQUEEZE_NAME_1=GaesteBad
    MULTISQUEEZE_PARAMETER_1=-o default:CARD=Device_1 -a 80:4::

#### SQUEEZELITE -l ####
    Output devices:
    null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    equalUSB 
    plugequalUSB - Equalizer for USB
    dmixerUSB - DMixer for USB
    plugdmixerUSB 
    equal 
    plugequal - Equalizer for plughw:0,0
    default:CARD=Device_1 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=Device_1 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
    default:CARD=Device - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=Device - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
    2. Oktober 2018 at 14:24 #38331

Hi Patrick,

So you have a custom solution with split outputs from a USB sound card? This is probably the problem. Try not using plugequal as an output.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here