[NEW UPDATE] Pulsating sound with new Hifiberry Amp2

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play as Squeezebox (Player / Server) [NEW UPDATE] Pulsating sound with new Hifiberry Amp2

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 10. November 2017 at 19:08 #32411

I bought a raspberry pi 3 with Amp2. I installed max2play premium 2.44 (last version and last hifiberry plugin). After few time a pulsating noise appears.. The noise still until squeeze player is on. The noise is present at a reduced volume and idle.
    Configuration :
    Hifiberry page : Hifiberry Amp2 selected
    Player Advanced Options : sysdefault-hifiberry-dacplus (why? and haven’t amp2 in options..) and command line -o hw:1 -V Digital

I use a power supply 18v 3.3A. I follow the recommandation (on your web site) to configure it.
    Before this new buy, I used a rapsberry pi 2 with amp+ and same power supply (I never had problems).

I test new configuration with old soundcard and no noise appears…
    Hifiberry page : Hifiberry Amp+ selected
    Player Advanced Options : sysdefault-hifiberry-amp (I have the choice with this card..) and command line nothing..

Thank you for your help!

13. November 2017 at 13:35 #32449

Hi tof,

The Amp2 now uses the digital driver by HiFiBerry (same as the new DAC’s), as opposed to the Amp+’s master driver. That’s why the output device option does not say „amp“ anymore.

Please try removing the parameters for hardware volume control from your Squeezelite in order to rule it our as a source of error. You can also deactivate the build-in audio and make sure your „hw:“ says 0.

Furthermore, please try testing another power supply, if possible. 3.33A is on the lower end of what the Amp2 + Pi need. Also, remove all periphery from the Pi that might also require power (USB).

13. November 2017 at 13:39 #32450

Hello,

I tested with 2 power supply, Pi 2 and 3 and no external device.
    I also test with another amp2.. with a plain raspian and piCore, always this noise after a while.
    The noise appears after a while (sometime 6 hours…).
    I joint 2 audio files with noise (when playing and not playing song) => How can I send you this files?

Thank you.

Christophe

14. November 2017 at 13:28 #32477

Hi Christophe,

If this issue occurs with all the distributions, your hardware might be defective.

You can try checking other speakers and/or cables to rule these out as sources of error.

20. November 2017 at 13:43 #32547

Hi,
    I have the same issue with two AMP2 that I bought from you. Both are connected to RPi3 and are using a 18volts 3,3a power supply. One uses Canton Speakers, the other JBL. Even when not playing anything the noixe appears after a certain amound of time!

Jens

23. November 2017 at 17:31 #32598

Hi Jens,

Please detail the setup of your systems in more detail, so can be able to help you solve this issue.

Please also make sure you have tried activating hw volume control.

27. November 2017 at 2:11 #32645

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same problem as tof0256.

I have Raspberry PI 3 B with a Hifiberry amp2 connncted to him. The alimentation is 24V and 6.0A as indicated on the Hifiberry website.

My condiguration is Max2Play premium V2.44 and like tof0256 I configure M2P with the web interface by selecting the „Hifi Berry
    Amp 2“ in the selection list.

The sound is very good but like tof0256 after a few time there is some pulsation noise with squeezelite and also with the plugin spotify connect too but I didn’t try with Shairport.

Can you help me ? This is very unpleasant.

Here is the debug information from the web interface :

#### SQUEEZELITE VERSION ####
    Squeezelite Max2Play v1.0.3 based on v1.8.7-999, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2017 Ralph Irving.

#### SQUEEZELITE BUILDOPTIONS ####
    Build options: LINUX ALSA EVENTFD RESAMPLE FFMPEG VISEXPORT IR GPIO DSD CONTROLSBS ALSASYNC BLUETOOTHSYNC

#### AUDIOPLAYER CONFIG ####
    ### Configuration of Audioplayers
    SQUEEZELITE_PARAMETER=-o sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80:4:: -o hw:1 -V Digital
    SQUEEZESLAVE_PARAMETER=-n plugequal
    SHAIRPORT_PARAMETER=-d default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -t hardware -m hw:1 -c Digital
    USE_USB_DAC=0
    USE_EQUALIZER=0
    SYSTEM_USER=pi
    YMPD_PARAMETER=--webport 8081
    SPOTIFYCONNECT_PARAMETER=--username ????? --password "???" --device sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry

#### SQUEEZELITE -l ####
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      equal                         
      plugequal                      - Equalizer for plughw:0,0
      default:CARD=ALSA              - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Hardware device with all software conversions
      default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry   - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0  - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus,  - Hardware device with all software conversions

#### SHAIRPORT VERSION ####
    2.8.0-openssl-Avahi-ALSA-soxr

#### OUTPUT SOUND DETAILS CARD 0 ####
    closed

#### OUTPUT SOUND DETAILS CARD 1 ####
    access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
    format: S32_LE
    subformat: STD
    channels: 2
    rate: 44100 (44100/1)
    period_size: 882
    buffer_size: 3528

Thank you and sorry for my bad english

28. November 2017 at 16:06 #32675

Hi zelfiris,

We are sorry to hear that. Please tell us exactly which power supply you are using. Either power supply or the AMP2 might be causing the issue.

29. November 2017 at 14:42 #32700

Hi,
    These seems to be an AMP2 Problem which is already recognized by the Hifiberry developers

https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115003624325-RPi3-AMP2-Popping-Sound

/Jens

29. November 2017 at 15:25 #32701

Hi thanks for your response,

Hi zelfiris,

We are sorry to hear that. Please tell us exactly which power supply you are using. Either power supply or the AMP2 might be causing the issue.

I use this one : https://www.amazon.fr/Minger-Europe-Adaptateur-dalimentation-Lumineuse/dp/B01D2I8Z76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507716482&sr=8-2&keywords=alimentation+24v+5a

Hi,
    These seems to be an AMP2 Problem which is already recognized by the Hifiberry developers

https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115003624325-RPi3-AMP2-Popping-Sound

/Jens

Thank you,
    I already see that post but me it’s hapenning even when I’m playing music and in this post they just said when no music is playing.
    I’m going to test with raspbian in the next days to see if there is again the problem and I’ll come back to this post.

I’m asking if we have to do the installation of the driver specified on the Hifiberry website on the Max2Play distribution.

link : https://www.hifiberry.com/build/documentation/configuring-linux-3-18-x/

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by zelfiris.
    29. November 2017 at 16:09 #32704

Hi zelfiris,

First of all, the power supply is operating at maximum capacity for the AMP2, so if you have a 12-16V PS available, please also test the playback with it.

Regarding the HB driver, we already load and preconifgure the ideal driver for the sound card once you select it in the HiFiBerry Plugin and reboot your Pi.

29. November 2017 at 17:10 #32706

Hi Heiner,
    First of all, the power supply is operating at maximum capacity for the AMP2, so if you have a 12-16V PS available, please also test the playback with it.

Unfortunately, I don’t have another power supply but I will check to buy one.

Regarding the HB driver, we already load and preconifgure the ideal driver for the sound card once you select it in the HiFiBerry Plugin and reboot your Pi.

Ok thanks

29. November 2017 at 17:18 #32707

Hi,
    I tested with 12V and 18V power supplies and with both I hear the pulsating Sound after a while.
    I have 2x RPi3 with AMP2 and both Show the same behavior (sometimes even during Music Play).
    M2P Version is 2.44
    One RPi uses Wifi Connection, the other uses LAN Connection.

Here is my debug Info:

#### BOOT CONFIG TXT ####
    # For more options and information see
    # http://rpf.io/configtxtreadme
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default „safe“ mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    #disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    #overscan_left=16
    #overscan_right=16
    #overscan_top=16
    #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display’s size minus
    # overscan.
    #framebuffer_width=1280
    #framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    #hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    #hdmi_group=1
    #hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    #arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
    #dtparam=i2c_arm=on
    #dtparam=i2s=on
    #dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
    #dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
    dtparam=audio=on
    gpu_mem=128

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

29. November 2017 at 18:04 #32708

Hi guys,

@zelfiris
    : this is not necessarily the issue, so if you can test once with someone else’s PS or try to exhaust your other options beforehand, I would advise you to do so.

@Jesn: This might rule out the power supply as source of error. But since both amp’s show the same behaviour, a defect in the amp is also unlikely. I am currently doing a long-term test with an AMP2 that a customer sent back reporting crackling noise which I have not yet been able to produce, so there might be other factors to the AMP’s setup that might affect its performance. If you don’t have it hooked up to the power outlet directly, please also try doing so.

29. November 2017 at 18:12 #32709

What do you mean by directly plugging into the power outlet? You mean directly into the wall?
    One additional hint:
    The Sound typically Comes up during the night (first time my wife thought someone broke into our house).
    In order to get rid of it I need to press the „OFF“ button in iPeng next to the device. It seems that this turns of the AMP2. When using the „Off“ button in iPeng I hear the same pulse one time, even if it is not pulsating before.

/Jens

29. November 2017 at 18:45 #32710

@Heiner: How do you test? With max2play 2.44, LM serveur and squeezelite?
    If you cut off the player via LMS the noise stop. When you cut off you hear the plusating noise just once..
    Turn on again and the noise come back (after a few time). I won’t cut off rhe play at each time!
    I switch my two defect Amp2 with two Amp+ and this noise never come.

30. November 2017 at 14:45 #32716

@Jens: I mean a direct outlet connection as opposed to a powerstrip with multiple plugs.

@tof: mainly tested with Spotify Connect Plugin but also used Squeezelite. Did you try out other speakers, yet?

30. November 2017 at 14:59 #32717

Hi everybody,

I spoke with the support of HifiBerry, they are going to send me another AMP2 to see if the problem come from the card.

When I receive it i’ll come back to you.

4. Dezember 2017 at 22:37 #32782

Hi,
    I tested with a dedicated power plug and the poping Sound is still there.
    It now also starts during Sound Play and it is happening on both Units (2x RPi3 with AMP2).

/Jens

5. Dezember 2017 at 9:20 #32785

Hi all,

same issue for me.
    Only Squeezelite is activated.
    configured to hw:0
    Squeezeserver also running on this pi3, connected via Wlan.
    Have not yet tested if the other speaker (pi0w with justboom amp) is working correctly. Its located in the studio downstairs.

But the issue only starts after i upgraded from 2.44 to 2.45
    Was working normally with a pi3 and Amp2

But it only happens on one channel. (the right one, if you look to the terminals)
    Need to check if it is also happening while playing music, not tested yet, since it was so annoying that i pulled one cable to not destroy the expensive Klipsch Speakers.

Will try to flash the system again but again with v2.44

5. Dezember 2017 at 13:13 #32795

@zelfiris: Thank you for the follow-up.

@jens
    : please send in your devices (whole setup if possible) so they can be properly checked.

@barnosch
    : Please let us know if you can register a difference with the new 2.44 image.

5. Dezember 2017 at 21:17 #32799

sadly no difference with the old image.
    So it is not a solution to downgrade.
    crap

6. Dezember 2017 at 12:26 #32807

Hi everybody,

I just got word from HiFiBerry and, obviously, they are also concerned about this issue.

Therefore, they have asked that you forward your problems with the AMP2 with as much constructive details and info about your setup and issues encountered as possible to their email address:

[email protected]

14. Dezember 2017 at 15:20 #32940

Hi everybody,

Another update:

The command line options parameter -C 5 added and saved in Squeezelite helped some Max2Play users get rid of the crackling noise that some AMP2 customers reported. If you have this issue, please try adding the aforementioned parameter to your command line options.

17. Dezember 2017 at 10:24 #32994

Ich habe das selbe Problem. Allerdings bringt der Timeout Parameter nicht wirklich was. Im Hifiberry Forum wird von defekten amp Chips gesprochen. Ich habe alles durch bin seit 2 Wochen am durchprobieren, und mag jetzt nicht mehr. Ist eindeutig nen Hardware defekt.

18. Dezember 2017 at 13:21 #33010

Hi scopeone,

Wie bereits erwähnt soll man sich bei einem vermuteten Hardwaredefekt direkt an HiFiBerry über die Email-Adresse [email protected] wenden. Dort erhält man dann auch Ersatz von HiFiBerry über eine Garantie von 2 Jahren ab Kaufdatum.

Da du jedoch deinen AMP2 natürlich über Weihnachten auch nutzen sollen kannst, schicken wir dir den Ersatz jetzt schnell noch zu 😉

18. Dezember 2017 at 16:49 #33029

Hi guys,

I am writing this to avoid confusion and bump the info up once again for anybody who might be affected:

Please contact [email protected] for all suspected defects connected to your AMP2 playback.

Thank you

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here