Plugin Imageburner

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play Add-ons Plugin Imageburner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 5. März 2016 at 15:18 #19127

Hi,

is there a way to produce an image file of the currently running max2pla installation?
    Like: Target is an empty SD card in a USB cardreader, source is the active boot SD of the Raspi.

This would be a good way to create a backup of my max2play installation, including all settings.
    Cheers,
    Mike

10. März 2016 at 11:42 #19185

Hi Mike,

currently only external devices can be used as target.

Just an idea: You may use a second SD-Card with Max2Play and the Imageburner addon to create and store the image from the „Main“ SD-card.

29. April 2016 at 1:26 #19993

The above method requires two Max2Play installations, i.e., Max2Play set up on two SD cards – a main SD card which needs backing up and which we cannot boot from if we want to save a backup of that main SD card, the other SD card with Max2Play and Imageburner addon which we’ve booted from to be able to save the main SD card. This means that the Raspberry Pi running Max2Play needs to be shut down, the main SD card removed, the Max2Play with Imageburner addon inserted and booted from and then the main SD card backed up; then Raspberry Pi rebooted from the main SD card again after the backup is completed. A tedious process which involves shutting down the running Raspberry Pi and swapping SD cards.

Instead, if Max2Play can provide a facility whereby the running main SD card can be backed up to a network share, that would be awesome (it can pause/stop all running services if needed for backup stability and resume/start the services which were stopped again after the backup is complete!). Restoration then simply should be a matter of expanding the stored archive onto a new SD card using standard (un)archiving utilities available on most operating systems.

Please, Max2Play, provide this facility – users spend a lot of time configuring their installations and it would be very useful to be able to do a 1-click backup/restore. If this can be directly supported via the Imageburner plugin, even better (Imageburner will need two enhancements for this to happen: a) allow running system to be backed up b) network shares as backup targets).

I’m visualising the capability to utilise my NAS as backup target for all my Max2Play devices as a use-case of the above if implemented/made available…if this is done, I’ll install Max2Play on all my Raspberry Pi devices I currently use as media centres.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by m.max2play.
    25. November 2017 at 22:02 #32636

Danged if I can get the ImageBurner plugin to work as m.max2play suggests:

utilise my NAS as backup target for all my Max2Play devices.

I have mounted the NAS backup destination directory apparently successfully (same way I mounted the NAS music directory which Squeezeserver sees OK).
    I have put the mountpoint and a filename into the box at the bottom of the imageburner page (/mnt/Max2Play/Pi.img)
    I get this:

Installation started – This Messages refreshes every 3 seconds to show current installation status. When finished this message disappears.
    START creating Image to /home/pi/PiServer25-11-17.img
    No valid Device choosen – must be sda or sdb
    FINISHED

The destination in the message (/home/pi/PiServer25-11-17.img) is not what I put in the box (/mnt/Max2Play/PiServer25-11-17.img)

The flashing message keeps going and going till I refresh the webpage, when it is replaced by the message that the burn failed and the progressfile is being deleted.

The debug file contains

#### FILESYSTEMS SD-CARD ####
    fdisk: cannot open /dev/: Is a directory

I am obviously missing something important. Any advice?

28. November 2017 at 14:06 #32668

Hi TJH,

Please make sure your path is successfully mounted by putting some music or other media on it and trying to access it.

Please also make sure you have the correct set of rights for such a share, i.e. 777 for both write and read permissions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here