Piping audio using M2P to airplay-enabled speakers.

Max2Play Home Forums SD-Card Imaging and getting started Piping audio using M2P to airplay-enabled speakers.

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 12. April 2018 at 11:47 #35144

Hello there,

I am experimenting with M2P as a media server. I am trying to get Logitech Media Server to recognise my AirPlay-enabled speakers (Sonos/Marrantz/Apple TV). I will be using Spotify or Airplay a music source to M2P and from there I hope to be able to select the speakers that I want to pipe to as outputs. If anybody is familiar with Forked-daapd, which means that M2P & LMS will be my server to receive and send, that is what I would like to acheive. After much tinkering with the settings, I noticed that I am only able to pipe audio wireless to another RPi that has M2P running. Is there any workaround that I can create a Multi-zone setup for my AirPlay speakers? Thanks in advance!

12. April 2018 at 14:11 #35146

Hi Ben,

There’s a plugin that might be ideal for your setup. [Discussion Thread]

13. April 2018 at 10:34 #35157

Hi Heiner,

I have tried using this plugin. Might be my inexperience, but is there any method that I can pipe my AirPlay audio to M2P and then use this plugin to pipe it out. Currently while trying, I am only able to achieve local audio from my RPi to be sent out via AirPlay. I want something like this; MacBook > RPi > 3 Speakers (all via AirPlay).

13. April 2018 at 11:14 #35159

You are talking about shairtunes2, this is AirPlay Birdge:

After lots of tests and help (especially from epoch, thanks!) I can release a first version of a new bridge that allows AirPlay devices (speakers and a lot of AV amplifier from Marantz, Denon …) to be used as if they were regular LMS players. Compared to my other bridges, it brings replaygain, gapless, fading (in/out/cross) and … what was the most important for me: synchronization with other LMS players.

If you have questions about the plugin, you can best head to the slimdevices forum for expert advice.

13. April 2018 at 11:30 #35160

I understand that the AirPlay Bridge will solve my LMS > AirPlay speakers issue. Now I just need to resolve the issue of M2P sending the AirPlay data into LMS.

Edit: I can get the AirPlay data into LMS but it can only be played via the RPi sound card. I am just unsure on how to feed it out to AirPlay Bridge

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BenMation.
    13. April 2018 at 12:06 #35163

Ah, so you also want to feed via AirPlay? This is a very peculiar setup 😀

For feeding, you need shairtunes2, however, I do not know how well these two plugins interact. Perhaps ask about this specific setup in detailed terms on slimdevices. They might have another hint for you 😉

16. April 2018 at 4:21 #35196

Yup it is quite a weird setup. But what I want to achieve from this is to create something similar to a „AirPlay Broadcast“, where I send a single AirPlay stream from my source and pump it out to multiple speakers, sort of like a multi room solution. I’ll try my luck at the slim devices forum. Thanks

17. April 2018 at 9:24 #35209

Hi Heiner!

Is it possible to implement Max2Play on a separate hardware other than RPi? I have succeeded with the solution that I proposed in this thread but RPi seems to be the bottleneck in the solution as there are too many buffers and too many layers to go through. This leaves me with a 30sec delay from playback to the actual audio being fed out.

24. April 2018 at 9:54 #35289

Hi Ben,

The newest version of Max2Play has been running exclusively on Pi for a while now. But we have older versions running smoothly for some Odroid machines that are based on Ubuntu (XU4, U3, C1, etc.). You can find them in our download section.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here