Pi Zero W suitability

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Pi Zero W suitability

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • 3. Februar 2019 at 3:48 #44321

So I’ve done some testing now and I’m going to put the ceiling speakers (I’ve had on my to do list for years) throughout the house connected to HiFi Berry AMP2’s. I had played around with a couple of Pi 3’s I had for other purposes but now I need to buy some Pi’s that will live permanently in the roof. Is there any reason the Pi Zero W wouldn’t be a good choice as a player only (Server is hosted elsewhere)? I know it’s CPU is far less powerful but I can buy 3 of them and still have change left over for the same price as a Pi 3.
    I’m assuming that as a player only it’s fairly non-intensive CPU use and a Zero W would work fine? I’d rather know in advance and do it properly rather than wasting money and time setting it up on sub-par hardware.

4. Februar 2019 at 11:12 #44331

Hi justin,

The ZeroW is indeed not as powerful as the standard Pi. So if you intend on adding functionality, other features like bluetooth or adding periphery, you might consider going for the 3B (3B+ is not necessary with most setups of M2P). However, you really only want to run Squeezelite on it, a ZeroW might suffice. Just make sure your WiFi network is strong enough on all locations you want to use it in.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here