Line in as an alexa override

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 25. November 2020 at 14:45 #50340

I am wondering whether this is possible.

With a soundcard that has a linein and squeezebox as the main source of music. Can an echo device be plugged into a line in and interrupt the current audio in a multi room environment.

For example I use squeezebox for most things however we have an echo in the kitchen for the normal alexa stuff. However when I can’t be bothered to get my phone out I simply play music through that. However the sound quality is obviously rubbish compared to the ceiling speakers. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds and be able to have the option to use both.

Is that possible with one of the line input cards.

For clarity I’m not looking to distribute the echo line out. Only have it in that particular zone and take over the audio from squeezebox if it starts playing something.

26. November 2020 at 13:38 #50344

Hi nickgosling,

It should be possible to connect the Echo to a sound card such as the HiFiBerry DAC ADC using a jack cable and use it as an audio source. Another possibility would be to connect the Echo via Bluetooth to the Pi on which the Squeezebox Server is running and stream audio through it.

26. November 2020 at 13:41 #50345

Ok. Thanks MarioM

That’s good news but how would the sound be handled. Would the sounds be mixed if max2play is currently playing something else or would the echo be an override.

I suppose the question is whether it’s hardware based or software based. But I simply don’t know.

26. November 2020 at 14:00 #50348

If you use Bluetooth, the server’s playback should be overwritten as soon as you start playback on the Echo. As far as I know, you would have to start playback on the server manually when using Line In.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MarioM.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here