Kodi and SD card protection

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Kodi and SD card protection

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 16. Februar 2022 at 9:28 #52059

Hi,

Upfront, thanks for keeping up this great m2p project! Hope you make it through the hw shortage.
    I’m currently setting up my multiroom system and have some general questions.

My current setup:
    RPI 4B (central server, buster)
    Running
    – Nextcloud
    – TVH server
    – LMS

RPI 3B+ (living room, m2p buster)
    – on LAN
    – on amp via Jack
    Running
    – Kodi (+yatse on smartphone)
    – Squeezelite

RPI zero w (kitchen, m2p buster)
    – on active speakers via dac+ zero
    Running
    – Squeezelite

Everything is powered via wlan controlled power plugs.

Question 1:
    Is it generally possible to run kodi if SD card write protection is enabled? I tried and it seemed to start but shut down kodi after some seconds.

Question 2:
    On the rpi zero w I tried to add a BT speaker via multisqueeze. It sometimes finds the speaker in the scan but not reliably. Then, connecting never worked. Is it tested on zero?

Question 3:
    What is the technical difference between installing repos for kodi via m2p interface and via kodi add repo? Can I use both?

That’s it for now, thanks for any feedback!

23. Februar 2022 at 14:15 #52082

Hi Hogo,

The SD card write protection is only intended for very special use cases. Functionality errors could occur in combination with, for example, the Squeezebox Server or Kodi. This is because these services may need to be able to temporarily write to the SD card in order to run correctly. Therefore, we recommend using the SD card write protection only in special cases.

In principle, the Zero W should work with Bluetooth. However, the Wifi and Bluetooth modules get in each other’s way. Even with a Pi 3, we found that either WiFi or Bluetooth did not work optimally when both were used at the same time. Therefore, I would not rule out the possibility of such connection errors occurring with a Zero W.

Adding repositories via the web interface should have the same effect as adding them directly in Kodi. However, we haven’t touched this feature for a long time, so it may be that there are problems with the new versions of Kodi by now. Adding the repos within Kodi should work in any case.

23. Februar 2022 at 20:29 #52091

Thanks Mario for those clarifications! 🙂

It is true, the BT feature is not really working well on zero and 3. So I gave up on using Kodi (libreelec) as single media source streaming via Bluetooth to my raspi zero to stream it from there to the LMS BT-in. I just could not establish the BT connection between the pis. The 3 discovers the zero but cannot connect. The zero discovers the 3 very rarely and no connection is established.(benchmark: the BT connection is what pcP does very well with those pis)

Maybe a new try with better hw in the future.

For now I’m very happy with my setup and am living with the small things to improve in the future:
    1. I need 2 apps, 1 for multiroom music listening (squeezer) and one for TV: yatse.
    2. When I switch of my devices I need to click my http command for shutting down max2play before cutting power to spare the SD card.

Just one question again: As soon as I have the BT-in stream working on the LMS, this stream can be played synchronously on all players connected to the LMS (this is what I could not accomplish with pcP, since the stream is only played on the player that is connected to the BT input device (e.g.Raspi with kodi running on libreelec))

Thanks and best,
    Hogo

24. Februar 2022 at 13:41 #52094

Can you describe your setup in more detail? I don’t quite understand why you are setting up a Bluetooth connection between two Pis. Perhaps your project can be solved in another way.
    Theoretically, it is possible to transmit the Bluetooth input to several players via the LMS, yes. How reliably the whole thing works (especially regarding latency) depends on the BT connection.

24. Februar 2022 at 19:49 #52097

Sure, my pleasure 🙂

Well, I’m a big fan of kodi + yatse. I have it running on my pi in the living room (see first post) connected via hdmi to my Beamer. Since yesterday I play the sound via dac+ to my amp and speakers in the living room.

The media+TV I stream from my central Pi4 in the bureau (always on). There, currently also the lms is running.

I also use the living room pi to play music only (Beamer switched off). Now I had the idea to stream the music also to some players in kitchen and bathroom. Since I like the features of yatse a lot (voice control, music, videos, TV, video recorder in one app), my goal is to select the music in yatse and stream it multiroom. So I tried to add a second pi (zero w) with m2p to the living room, running lms. This should be connected to my kodi-pi via Bluetooth and stream the input to Lms. From Lms all players shall be served with the music:
    1. Living room (player on pi zero)
    2. Kitchen, pi zero w, m2p
    3. Bathroom, pi zero w, m2p

I hope it’s understandable without diagram 🙂

Remark: I do not run lms directly on the kodi-pi since I do not know if there is a way to stream the audio to Lms other than BT and because the player is switched off as soon as I start kodi.

Thanks and Best,
    Hogo

28. Februar 2022 at 14:25 #52105

Interesting setup! Of course, the control via Kodi/Yatse makes the whole thing a bit difficult, but in principle your plan should work. I can’t really think of any alternative you could try either. Except, of course, to leave Kodi out of the music streaming ;), which I would recommend, as you have a much more stable system that doesn’t depend on an unreliable Bluetooth connection.

1. März 2022 at 8:24 #52109

Yap, currently I listen to music w/o Kodi, using squeezer as control app. Works well enough. The next steps will have to wait till rpi prices are back to normal 🙂
    Maybe that would be a good feature request to somehow have a direct routing from kodi audio output to the Lms,to get the whole thing really integrated. But I don’t know if this is somehow feasible.

Best,
    Hogo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here