Justboom DAC Zero -headphone cpu activity noise

Max2Play Home Forums General Questions on Hardware and Max2Play Versions Justboom DAC Zero -headphone cpu activity noise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 12. Januar 2018 at 14:42 #33374

Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W with Justboom DAC Zero.
    Used the spacers wich came with the DAC and mounted it directly on top of the Zero W.
    USB power adapter is from logitech
    When using the headphone out all CPU activity (and or ground) is generating an anoying noise.
    By switching to the line out the noise is gone.
    Any idea how I can solve this „problem“

15. Januar 2018 at 12:24 #33425

Hi m2playbob,

What is the current of your power supply and what software and files did you use to test?

If the issue persists, please contact us or the company you bought the device via email for further steps.

15. Januar 2018 at 20:48 #33461

Hi Heiner,

5V 2A power supply.
    Max2play, Squeezebox server and Squeezelite.
    Music files are on the same Samsung Evo+ 128 GB Micro SD class 10 card.
    No difference when playing FLAC or MP3.
    I will also contact the Dutch retailer.

16. Januar 2018 at 15:10 #33477

Hi bob,

We recommend running the LMS on a RPi3 or RPi2, to make sure it can handle any and all streams and files confidently.

However, this should not really produce interference noise. You could test another mode of playback (shairport or MPD) to make sure the issue is not related to LMS.

16. Januar 2018 at 21:12 #33488

Hi Hiner,

I understand the quadcore RPI3 or RPI2 can handle LMS better (quicker) than the singlecore RPI zero-W, but the handling itself is as noted not the issue.
    CPU load is mostly under 1.00 and no warnings in the M2P webapplication with both LMS and squeeze lite running
    I have an LMS on my Windows media center and did some testing.
    Limiting avtivity on the zero has as a result less „noise“ but it is still there.
    As far as I can test it myself the „noise“ is not related to LMS

Building a tiny (very portable) stand alone musicplayer with (mostly FLAC) musicfiles on the player itself was the goal for the experiment with lms and the player on the Zero W.
    As stated the line out doesn’t have the „noise“ problem.
    The quality when using the Justboom DAC Zero line out is far more better then a headphone directly connected to a standard mobile or laptop 3,5mm jack.
    I think you did (and still do) a great Job with M2P and the provided Plugins.

Concentrating on the „headphone out noise issue“, I didn’t expect interference noise and the headphone out propbably should not produce it.
    If the „problem“ is in anyway linked to my specific use of the Zero and the Justboom DAC or there is something wrong with the DAC or the combination of Zero and DAC then it is maybe a non issue.
    On the other hand having an amplified headphone out you cannot use is not why I bought this specific DAC.
    I didn’t do any soldering but ordered the Zero with the 40p header. So it’s mostly plug and play hardware in combination with M2P plug and play software.

I will do some more testing and keep you and other readers posted.

Bob

19. April 2018 at 5:38 #35225

I have the same issue using RPI zero and justboom dac zero.
    I think that noise comes from the power supply of RPI zero.
    Maybe isolation of the power supply is not good enough, especially the headphone circuit.
    I built a headphone amp for zero before.
    It used 5v form RPI Zero, it had the same problem.

24. April 2018 at 13:41 #35297

Thank you for the detailed responses. If possible, could you try running an instance of Squeezelite with the LMS on another device to rule it out as a possible source of error?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here