How to play audio optical output signal of my TV on another Max2play raspberry ?

Max2Play Home Forums General Questions on Hardware and Max2Play Versions How to play audio optical output signal of my TV on another Max2play raspberry ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 26. Februar 2022 at 17:49 #52100

Hi,

I’ve just baught a Hifiberry DAC+DSP to be able to listen to the TV sound on my max2play multiroom player.

I’ve got one raspberry pi 4 with DAC+DSP which read optical signal next to my TV. Let’s name it „TV“.
    I’ve got one raspberry pi 4 with a AMP2 which play the music on passive speakers. Let’s name it „Living Room“
    I’ve got a raspberry pi 3 with a 7″ touch screen with jivelite to manage music (start stop, choose source, change volume, …). Let’s name it „TouchScreen“

All my raspberry pi have max2play installed. LMS 8.2.0 is installed on the „TV“ raspberry pi. I’v also checked that WaveInPlugin (v1.04) is activated. „Pause button stops playing PC audio“ is checked.

I’ve add a Bookmark in LMS on URL“wavin:0″ nammed „Digital input“ .

I’ve set the TV to output audio on optical out.

When I try to play wavin:0 from jivelite on „Touchscreen“ I’ve got an error „Problem : impossible to open file : <Digital input>“

I’ve chosen „Hifi Berry DAC (PI A/B)“ in max2play for „TV“ raspberry

What should I do in order to be able to play digital input from the „TV“ raspberry pi’dsp on the LivingRoom raspberry pi’s speakers ?

Thank you for any help!

28. Februar 2022 at 15:06 #52108

Hi Jack,

Our drivers do not support the input from the DAC DSP. For this you would have to manually install the appropriate drivers and create a DSP profile. A simpler way with Max2Play would be the HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC. The analog input from the ADC is supported by us and can be used with the Wave Input plugin of the Squeezebox Server.

More information can be found on the HiFiBerry page: https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/data-sheets/datasheet-dac-dsp/

30. August 2022 at 7:48 #52369

Hi Mario,

Thank you for your answer. I’ve bought a HifiBerry DAC+ ADC Pro. When I burn the m2p_buster_rpi-v253_new.img (the current downloadable version) I’ve got an error message that ask me to upgrade the software while the raspberry pi Boot.

With the last beta version (m2p_buster_rpi-v256.img) it works but I can’t get the hifiberry panel from the admin page.

When I update my other max2play players the get the 2.56.

Could you release a new image with the v256 that is not a beta version ?

Thank you for help.

30. August 2022 at 12:23 #52370

Hi Jack,

The Beta Image is a normal Max2Play image but with a new kernel. It is currently still in the beta phase, as we have not yet been able to test all the functions of Max2Play with the new kernel. By using the beta version, the community can help us with this process. However, the basic functions of Max2Play (such as adding and using plugins) should work without problems.

Can you add the HifiBerry plugin via the download link? https://www.max2play.com/en/portfolio/plugin-hifiberry-2/

30. August 2022 at 22:24 #52372

Hello,
    Thanks for help. I’ve taken the beta version.
    I’ve installed the hifiberry plugin from the plugin page, it worked, thanks.

I’ve selected Hifi Berry DAC+ ADC PRO (B+ / PI 2/3/4)
    I’ve updated the RPI with sudo apt update / sudo apt upgrade
    I’ve also updated the kernel version from the Setup.php page.
    I’ve installed LMS on my RPI
    I’ve add Spotify plugin (to test the server is working)
    I’ve add Waveinput plugin
    I’ve add a bookmark on the LSM server on
    wavin:default
    wavin:plughw:0
    wavin:default
    wavin:0
    I’ve connected my phone with a male jack to the dac input jack
    I’ve played some music (volume max on the phone)
    I’ve tried each one of the bookmarks on my sqeezebox player (that works with lsm spotify plugin)
    None of them works. When I play them on the jivelite screen I’ve got an error message.
    I’ve also executed the following according to hifi berry doc (https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/software/integrate-analoge-audio-devices-into-your-multi-room-system/)
    sudo usermod -G audio squeezeboxserver

Could you help me figuring out what’s wrong or what’s not working properly ?

Thank you

30. August 2022 at 23:04 #52373

Hi,

After a few more try / fail I’ve finally been able to stream music through LMS!!!
    I’ve stoped the Squeezelite deamon
    Thanks to this post : https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/topic/cannot-stream-the-line-in-from-hifiberry-dac-adc-through-squeezbox-server/
    I went to the page /plugins/raspberrysettings/controller/Setup.php

and check „Disable Build-In-Audio“

-> then finally, „wavin:default“ works !!

30. August 2022 at 23:17 #52374

As complement, here are my conclusions for URL bookmark for WaveInput

wavin:default -> works
    wavin:plughw:0 -> works
    wavin:plughw:1 -> KO
    wavin:0 -> KO
    wavin:1 -> KO

1. September 2022 at 12:40 #52378

I am glad that your configuration is now working. This will certainly help others who are facing a similar problem.

1. September 2022 at 14:21 #52380

Indeed 🙂

The ony problem is that my moderne 2020 samsung tv has no jack output, but only toslink output or HDMI.

However, I’ll be able to use it for somthing else like playing music from a cd player.

16. Dezember 2022 at 1:18 #52535

Finally I’ve bough a 3$ DAC on ali express that take a toslink fibler cable as input and two cinch output to convert the signal.

This is then given to a HifiBerry DAC + ADC PRO and streamed from Sqeezebox server 🙂

24. Februar 2024 at 10:37 #53081

Convlusion to this topic:
    I’ve been able to inject audio stream from my tv to Squeezebox network BUT

The delay between the moment the sound goes out of the TV and it goes out of the speaker is about 2 or 3 seconds.

My TV only support a maximum delay of 500ms so it’s not usable for movies.
    Eventually it could be used if nobody watch the image and notice the shift.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here