How to back up max2play files

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 30. Januar 2018 at 15:22 #33755

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of an app or tool or even how to build (very easily please) a Pi as a back up server to incrementally and automatically back up my M2P on my home network.

Thing is I’ve been a long user of M2P, and Vortexbox before that and have always feared the worse, my drive getting corrupted and loosing my stuff, my stuff being my music, photos and videos.

I occasionally do a „copy-paste“ but I’m not consistent enough for it to be as up to date as it should if it were an automated system.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would very very much appreciate them.

Also not been a software man, would it be too bigger ask to make M2P, do this in the background at set intervals to backup to another hard drive somewhere on the local network that the M2P is connected to.

Anyhow, thanks in advance, here’s hoping!

Ps, have to say M2P is an amazing bit of kit, thanks you guys @ M2P for all the hard work over the years

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Alex.
    31. Januar 2018 at 12:14 #33768

Hi alex,

First of all thank you for the kind words. We appreciate the positive feedback 🙂

On your request, we built an image burner plugin that lets you create a backup of the whole Max2Play installation to burn as a new image.

However, for music and media files we recommend using an outside method. If you have your files connected via USB, you can make a SambaShare of the folder and back it up on another system most easily. If you have your media on a network share, the backup should be made from that share’s device.

I hope this answers your question but I am not entirely sure what part of your Max2Play system exactly you want to back up.

31. Januar 2018 at 12:43 #33771

Hi Heiner
    Thanks for the reply.
    Not had chance to look yet, but the burner you mentioned, is this the back up image burner that’s been available for a while , if so yes I’m aware of that, but thanks for pointing that out.

My combined music, photo, video, music etc collection is now 1.5TB
    so any problems with the HD would certainly cause me massive problems. And it’s that which I need to back up, preferably incrementally at set periods.

As I can’t can see any other way of protecting that info
    I thank you for your advice about samba, albeit I’ve had no experience in this area.So your advice is very much appreciated.
    If you have any other advice that may help I really would appreciate it.

31. Januar 2018 at 12:46 #33772

Hi Heiner,
    When you say if my files are on a usb, my HD is on the usb. Do you mean this, or do you mean a usb stick?

1. Februar 2018 at 10:36 #33784

Hi alex,

I assume the HD is connected to the Pi. Then you make it a SambaShare.

4. Februar 2018 at 0:41 #33836

Hi Heiner
    Sorry been out of circulation for a while.
    I’ve looked at the options and decided to go down the OpenMediaVault way as it looks like its a very useful tool with a forum.
    So I have indeed started building this but hit a probelm which I have put on this forum with a hope someone else has used OMV and can advise.
    All the same thank you so much for your contribution, its very much appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here