How about Airconnect ?

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play Development (Ideas, Wishes) How about Airconnect ?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 9. April 2021 at 10:25 #51115

Hi,
    first of all, I’m quite happy with the current feature set. But my (iphone) kids aren’t! Why?

I’m mainly listening to local music or streaming options supported by LMS, or by the many DLNA enabled internet radio scattered in our household. For the ones not supporting LMS, I’ve enabled the uPnP/DLNA Media interface to grant access to our local music library on LMS, I’ve enabled the „remote library“ plugin to link LMS players to an addidtional DLNA server on our router.
    Everything covered? Not yet. Local audio/music on phones and tablets.
    For Android devices no problem, as there’s good DLNA support to act as controller, server, and/or renderer (uPnP/DLNA Media interface includes a renderer, too!). And if an app doesn’t support DLNA directly, there’s AirMusic app to route system audio to external DLAN renderers or AirPlay devices – at least for rooted devices or Android 10+. Works very well and allows to play stuff like Spotify „free“ on any DLNA renderer in our house.

So where’s the problem: DLNA ignorance of Apple! No way to reroute system audio to DLNA (or LMS ;-).
    (well there’s crappy bluetooth audio as a fallback, which is „room only“ and not supported by all my DLNA boxes, … not a true option)
    The easiest solution I’ve come up with is running AirConnect proxy/translator (https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect) on max2play to close this gap. It simply scans the network for DLNA renderers and offers them as AirPlay devices to iOS. –> my IPhone kids are happy!

Therefore, I’d like to propose to add AirConnect to max2play natively; either as a plugin (overkill) or preinstalled and optionally enabled on the mediaplayer tab next to Shairport and DLNA client. It’s just about adding a < 1MB binary, a script to register the service, and enable/disable via GUI.
    A optional configuration file is only needed when certrain (detected) DLNA devices should be skipped or require certain non-default settings. A template covering all detected devices can be generated running airconnect with a special option in standaone mode. Generating and editing this file via max2play GUI would be cool. Does max2play already include a web|browser based text editor, which could be re-used for this purpose?
    I don’t mind editing via SSH connection, but editing via web GUI would bring a much smoother user experience.

AirConnect brings complementary features to Shairport or anything Airplay on LMS.

What do you think?
    Any cons about this proposal?

Regards,
    Toby

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by streumix. Reason: some corruption in the system foced me to go dual-stage
    9. April 2021 at 13:31 #51118

Hi Toby,

Thank you for your suggestion. I think the idea is good and we should take a closer look at it. I’ll discuss that with our developer, let’s see what he thinks of it. Nonetheless, this is of course a very special use case. The few who want to stream to DLNA devices via Airplay would probably just use Airconnect and install it manually. If you would like to see Airconnect as a standalone plugin or as part of the audio player plugin, you are welcome to use our plugin builder to develop your own solution: https://www.max2play.com/en/portfolio/plugin-pluginbuilder-2/ For us, such an implementation is usually difficult because it could collide with other present services.

9. April 2021 at 14:50 #51119

I’ll check the plugin builder and see if I can turn my manual install into a max2play-plugin.
    Since you didn’t comment, I’m assuming max2play doesn’t contain a browser-based text editor, which could be used from the web-GUI to edit the (optional) config file. I’ll see …

Thanks,
    Toby

13. April 2021 at 14:04 #51125

Hi Toby,

I’m sorry, I missed that point. Max2Play supports a browser-based text editor. The best thing to do is to take a look at our hardware control plugin using the pluginbuilder. A text editor is already used in this plugin. On the Settings/Reboot page you can activate the debug mode (next to the beta update). Then you can edit existing plugins in the pluginbuilder. Apart from that you can of course also edit the files via SSH and nano.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here