Headless Squeezelite – newbie

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play as Squeezebox (Player / Server) Headless Squeezelite – newbie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 4. August 2017 at 18:49 #30441

I’m now the proud owner of PI3, IQAudIO Pi-Digi+ and Max2Play. Yippee!

I want to stream music from the LMS server hosted in my Netgear ReadyNAS using Squeezelite controlled by a tablet and web browser, which I thought should be simple. Squeezelite is running and is the only player that is running. The NAS LMS server sees the Squeezelite client and is able to serve files to it, which are then played via the IQAudIO Digi+. So far, so good. So I can „push“ files from the LMS Server to the client.

I thought that I should be able to „pull“ music from the server using Squeezelite and control the process via my browser, ie in Headless mode, and this is where I come unstuck. I have followed advice given in other threads and re-named the Playername (to PietM2P), but this only gets me to the web-admin page and not the player. I think if I were running LMS on the Pi I would use port 9000, ie „http://192.168.nnn.nnn:9000“ but of course it’s not running on the Pi. Should I be using another port or am I doing something stupid?

I’d be really grateful for some advice, please. Eventually I want to use Squeezelite (headless) to stream my music and Kodi to stream my videos, in each case chanelling the audio via the IQAudIO … but one step at a time!

Sorry if this has been answered before; I did a lot of searching first and didn’t find anything.

Many thanks in advance, Piet

7. August 2017 at 10:46 #30463

Hi Piet,

First of all, congrats on starting with Max2Play 🙂

Now for your issue, you have multiple options to control the playback of your Squeezelite player. However, the player itself does not have any interface to control it. The control is handled entirely by the LMS. So you need to access the web interface of the LMS on your NAS. It also has a port similar to 9000, perhaps 9001 or 9002. But you can check it in the network overview of your PC or in the web interface of your NAS.

Another, more convenient way to control your playback is through one of the many great apps for Squeezebox. If you have an Android device, check out Squeezer. With iOS, we recommend iPeng and with Windows, you can with SoftSqueeze. These applications automatically servers and palyers in your network and let you control their playback.

9. August 2017 at 21:36 #30529

Hi Heiner,

Very many thanks for the reply – I greatly appreciate your prompt and patient advice. I now understand that everything must be controlled by whichever LMS is serving the music. I previously owned a Squeezebox Touch and was expecting to be able to „pull“ music in the same way that it did. Now that you’ve explained things I can stop going off down the wrong track! I’ll have a look at Softsqueeze for Windows. My mobile ‚phone’s a BlackBerry Pasport (must be something about soft fruit!) and the browser’s not too great at controlling LMS.

Best wishes,

Piet

10. August 2017 at 9:30 #30534

Hi Piet,

Guess what, there’s also a Blackberry App for Squeezebox control: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/24401/

10. August 2017 at 23:09 #30563

Hi Heiner,

That sounded really exciting – thank you. Sadly, when I checked it out, it’s not available for my BB Passport – it must have been for the previous operating system 🙁

I’ll keep checking around. I should be able to run the android app on my BB, but never had much luck with that.

Thanks again.

Pieter

14. August 2017 at 17:44 #30620

Aw, sorry about getting your hopes up 🙁

Here is a makeshift solution for right now: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BlackBerry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here