DSD playback

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 19. November 2017 at 22:51 #32543

hallo to all, new here.
    max2play looks nice and features are what i was expecting.
    just a suggestion, i spent 10 min to setup two Raspberry with DAC (HifiBerry + and Allo Piano 2.1) and two days to have dsd out.
    Yes on the forum there are solutions, but no quick guide (frequency on player command line and file type association on server, dsdplay)
    I think you must make a clear setup guide for each DAC board supported.
    Danilo

23. November 2017 at 17:22 #32595

Hi Danilo,

Thank you for the request. We’d love to add such guides. Could you let us know what your ideal setup steps for your two sound cards have been, then we can start setting this up.

We do not test DSD playback here very often and finetuning these settings for all of our sound card’s would take me a pretty long time, so I appreciate all the help I can get 🙂

24. November 2017 at 9:21 #32614

Dear Heiner,
    i found the starting setup in your forum from another nice guy putting the basic step for DSD playback and are these:
    Squeezelite Settings
    # option need -c pcm,flac,mp3,dsd -r 44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
    # add DSD plugin
    # volume must be fixed to 100%
    Server file type association
    # DSF deactivate
    # FLAC dsdplay
    # FLAC dsdplay
    # FLAC dsdplay
    as i got this is the starting point then the type of DAC used must be tuned (EG: allo can accept 384k i will try, now the game is started).
    Here we need your and community help to use particular feature of every DAC and reach better results.
    Then people better than me can open the world of upsampling etc.
    Thanks in advance to all will help to make DSD playback better or suggest DAC to be used.
    Danilo

8. November 2020 at 23:03 #50084

Hello, I made use of these instructions so that I could get DSD music through a HifiBerry Digi+Pro mounted on a Raspberry Pi4 running Max2Play and attached to a pair of Dali Zensor AX speakers via Toslink fiber. Since another unit in another room that has a HifiBerry AMP2 had no problems before making these changes, I am guessing that the Digi+Pro was sending DSD data to the Dalis in DoP, which probably did not work.

But now I am wondering, just what quality of music data is actually being sent to and beyond the Digi+Pro given these settings. Is it CD quality (16-44) or better? Or otherwise?

And is there something else that I could do that would be better? Are there any settings that I could input for the Digi+Pro via the Max2Play HifiBerry plugin webpage for that unit?

Note: A third Pi4 that runs the server is attached to a soundbar via HDMI. This one also output sound fine when playing DSD files before making these changes. PCs runnig Squeezelite-X also had no problems. The only problem was with the Digi+Pro unit.

10. November 2020 at 17:41 #50109

Hello Carousel,

only the maximum sample rate that supports both sender and receiver can be supported. The HiFiBerry Digi Pro can clock up to 192 kHz, but the Dail Zensor AX (according to the website) can only clock up to 96kHz. So DoP should not work because it would need 176.4 kHz.

The best quality can be achieved if the original format is transferred unchanged. Upsampling and format conversions bring more of a deviation from the original than an improvement. If 1:1 transmission is not possible, choose a sample rate that can be divided by integer. For example, if the original is in 176.4 kHz and the player can only handle a maximum of 96kHz, then 88.2 is a better choice than 96 kHz.

If DSD files need to be converted to be played, I would recommend the same procedure — a sample rate on the player that is a multiple of 44.1 kHz.

Greetings
    Jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here