Airplay receiver with display

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 4. September 2018 at 14:15 #37630

Hello,

I’m planning a new project and need some advice: I would like to built an Airplay Receiver similar to the vintage Airport Express stations but with an additional display for album art and optical digital output.

I thought about an Raspberry Pi 3B+, a HifiBerry+ Pro and a 2.8″ display for album art.

My question is, if this is possible? What hardware should I use?

Kind regards
    steamfan

4. September 2018 at 15:18 #37631

Hi steamfan,

Unfortunately, I do not think that AirPlay automatically detects album art in any way with our solutions (shairport and shairtunes2).

It does work very well for our Squeezelite with Jivelite GUI solution, but there is currently no graphic component to AirPlay.

But except for that, the AirPort Express approach is great and goes with our multiroom solutions where you could also always expand to other software features if you are so inclined but can also keep the whole system exclusively to AirPlay playback if you prefer.

23. Dezember 2018 at 21:16 #42937

@steamfan:
    I found a project on GitHub which reads metadata from ShairPort and sends it to a LCD screen plugged to a Raspberry ( https://github.com/benlec/SendNowPlayingToLcd )

@Heiner
    :
    Is it possible to integrate this scripts into M2P, to show the metadata of the currently streamed airplay song. I am happy user of M2P, but I am more and more using Airplay streaming instead of my Logitech Media Server – squeezelite streaming.

3. Januar 2019 at 11:34 #43049

Hi Munich,

Thanks for the tip, we’ll check this out and see if it’s an option. However, this might be problematic because it has some prerequisite software that also needs to be installed which might interfere with Max2Play’s other software.

However, you can already try setting it up via SSH (sudo su to get root rights) and let us know how it works on Max2Play.

4. Januar 2019 at 9:44 #43096

This sounds very interesting however I do not think that shareport / shareport-sync support pictures and therefore album art shout be a no go. However take a look at this suggestion/install: Shareport-sync display

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Cassio299.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here