I tried piCorePlayer about three years ago, as a substitute for max2play. I love their business model, and I like the way they distribute their use of memory. But I found it to fail and require a reboot four times in the 7 months I used it, while I got the first two years on max2play before the first instance of such a problem. So I am anxious to use max2play in both of my players. I am optimistic that you will fix the problem.
(As you probably recognize, a reboot for a Raspberry Pi with non-volatile SD card is a lot of work! I now keep a „clone“ SD card, and have a documented process for how to start from scratch with a complete new download.)