Disabling unnecessary services

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Disabling unnecessary services

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 7. Oktober 2015 at 10:41 #16090

Hi,

Running the pas ax command in the terminal screen I see a good number of services running at start up. Based on my experience with MS Windows, I know uninstalling unnecessary programs, disabling services yield good sonic results. I use a battery driven RPi connected to a USB DAC for the sole purpose of running the LMS. No video, no attached storage, no equalizer etc. I uninstalled samba the other day and was happy with the results. I was curious to know what other programs/daemons I can safely disable to turn Rpi into a streaming monster. Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by mcduman.
    7. Oktober 2015 at 17:30 #16102

Hi mcduman,
    We built the Max2Play images with only the most basic services included in the initial image, so that you can add the other plugins whenever you want. This is the reason why we would not recommend disabling or deleting services. You can, however, look into the players and disable them and all their „autostart“ buttons in the web interface that you do not need. Then your RPi should be runnning as fast as it gets.

8. Oktober 2015 at 12:04 #16116

thanks heiner. i know max2play is as lightweight as it gets. Thanks for putting together a truly amazing tool. my intention was -and perhaps i am not alone in this endeavor- to go the extra mile to tweak the OS further and make the Rpi a purist 2-channel only streamer. I have tweaked the relevant conf file, set a new default device, took out plugequal and resampling, all with good results. What I have not done/could not do yet is:
    • Disable multichannel (I still have under audio player surround 21, surround 40, surround 41 etc)
    • Disable multi-room
    • Disable video
    • I cannot assess if kodi for instance auto starts services. If it does I want to disable them because I do not use kodi

26. Oktober 2015 at 14:47 #16553

As much as I like M2P, if all you want is basic streaming maybe look into piCorePlayer

27. Oktober 2015 at 16:58 #16581

picore is just an LMS client and as such does not help me

21. Januar 2016 at 11:26 #18041

just to follow up with an earlier query, i removed 1.5 GB worth of non-essential stuff (x11, python, development packages et cetera) and there was a very noticeable increase in sound quality. this is such a sensational little headless device now and thanks again to all involved

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here