Reply To: Google Play Music – gmusicapi login not working anymore

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play as Squeezebox (Player / Server) Google Play Music – gmusicapi login not working anymore Reply To: Google Play Music – gmusicapi login not working anymore

23. Dezember 2019 at 18:42 #47829

I found a solution that seems to work (for now).

There is an updated version of the plugin on github ( It uses an updated login method. I also includes a python-based proxy server that somehow solves issues with tracks stopping/ending.

Here’s what I did. This is specific for a max2play installation with the google-play-music plugin already installed.

* Following the directions for the plugin, I updated the GoogleMusicApi library
First I checked the version installed:
sudo pip show gmusicapi
Then I updated to 12.1.0 specifically
sudo pip2 install gmusicapi==12.1.0

* I cloned the updated plugin into /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/:

cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/
sudo git clone</blockquote>

* I then swapped out the new plugin directory with the old one and made it a public directory (just in case):

sudo mv GoogleMusic GoogleMusic-old
sudo mv squeezebox-googlemusic GoogleMusic
sudo chmod 777 GoogleMusic

* Then I started squeezebox server, made sure the plugin was enabled, and went through the settings to authorize login with OpenAuth. At this point, I could reload my library, but songs wouldn’t start. The next step was to enable to python-based proxy server. You can do this temporarily with:
sudo python /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/GoogleMusic/proxy/

And viola – I could use the plugin again. However, when I closed the terminal the python-based proxy server stopped and tracks again wouldn’t load.

* So the last step I did was to setup the python-based proxy server as a service. I followed this tutorial
** First, I made a file called myproxy.system in /lib/systemd/system
sudo pico /lib/systemd/system/myproxy.service

With these contents:

Description=Dummy Service
[email protected]

ExecStart=/usr/bin/python /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins/GoogleMusic/proxy/


** And then I reloaded systemd, enabled the new service, and started it:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable myproxy.service
sudo systemctl start myproxy.service

and checked the status with:
sudo systemctl status myproxy.service

The first time I did this the service was in a failed state. It turned out I had accidentally left an instance of the proxy server running from the command line so the service-based version couldn’t attach to the same port and failed. I killed the previous python thread and the service was able to start properly.

This seems to have done the trick. Don’t know yet it it will be super-stable, but fingers crossed. Haven’t tested this yet with having multiple players within the house playing different GPM tracks.