Reply To: Max2play boot with USB stick

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Max2play boot with USB stick Reply To: Max2play boot with USB stick

23. Februar 2019 at 8:09 #44549

Edit 23.2

Hi Mike

Raspbian which runs under max2play doesn’t support expansion of a USB Stick, therefore you will be stocked with a stick of 4gb (which) is the max size of the installation. You will therefore most likely run out of space sooner or later. There are 2 way to expand the second partition either run an app called Gparted on a SD card or 2nd usb (as it doesn’t work on the same drive were you system is installed so this is not an option for max2play. Secondly, the manual way which I have described below. As you can see it involves serval reboots and a knowledge of the size of the first partition….. It will take more than a plugin to get running. Maybe Heiner can confirm that !!

Until Raspberry PI fully support USB sticks you can follow the manual method below, if you want.

I haven’t tested all the plugins, I assume that the home-automation plugins wont work running from a USB Stick. You will need to check that with their homepage.

The Raspberry Pi 3b has indirect support for booting from a usb-flash. You need to activate it on the Pi first.

Follow this guy if you haven’t prepared your Pi 3b: Click here

After that you can install the max2play on to your usb stick with Etcher (balenaEtcher)

Extent your root directory
Make sure that you have no other flash devices connected

In the remote control plugin type:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

type p (to list the partition table)

You will now see something like this:

Device Start
/dev/sda1 12
/dev/sda2 98888

Take a note of the number at column 2 (Start), row 2 (/dev/sda2)

type d (to delete a partition)
type 2 (partition number)
type n (to create a new partition)

next:
For the first sector on the new partition set in the start number in column/row 2 you noted earlier

next:
leave it black just [ENTER] (the highest end number will be auto added)

When it asks you something about not to keep the EXT4 format type no

type w (to save the changes)

sudo reboot

After the reboot go back to the remote plugin and type:

sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2

sudo reboot (again)

that’s it

with the command: df -h can you see the new size of your root device

Peter