Wishlist: VPN via max2play

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play Development (Ideas, Wishes) Wishlist: VPN via max2play

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 15. Dezember 2015 at 10:28 #17338

Hi,

max2play works great. Only a little IT-knowledge needed. No need to ssh in to your RPI.

One thing that I miss and where I need to use ssh for is the option to add VPN to your rpi.

Any plans to deliver this via m2p?

11. Januar 2016 at 14:00 #17719

Hi ad6922,

thank you for your kind feedback.

We have had VPN on our list for ideas, because another user requested VPN as well, but I cannot promise anythink for the next month, sorry.

Maximilian from Max2Play

22. Januar 2016 at 18:28 #18092

I too would like VPN.

Thanks

25. Januar 2016 at 8:28 #18117

+1 for VPN

30. Januar 2016 at 20:32 #18260

Just got my first PI today – loving M2P!

There are a couple of things I would like so definitely +1 to VPN and/or maybe FTP?

I have fudged a DDNS by using Chron, but maybe a more elegant way would be beneficial or is that just me? I couldn’t use apt-get, but am guessing that’s intentional and my knowledge of linux is severely limited anyway, so really grateful that this was OS was put together

21. März 2016 at 12:04 #19388

Yes, VPN would be very useful.
    Both server and client please.

25. Juni 2017 at 16:27 #29711

Hallo,

wann kann mit VPN-Unterstützung bei max2play gerechnet werden?

Meine Versuche, den VPN-Manager für Kodi zu nutzen, sind alle gescheitert.

5. Juli 2017 at 13:33 #29810

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback! We will look into the best feasible options for a possible implementation. Please let us know how exactly a solution under Max2Play should look like for you and what it should or should not include.

5. September 2017 at 0:02 #31135

I would very much like the ability for Max2Play to use a VPN to defeat geo-locking. Pandora recently pulled out of Australia and I miss it.

6. Oktober 2017 at 22:24 #31772

An OpenVPN client extension would be great!

19. September 2018 at 18:11 #37907

I too would like to have OpenVPN added to your product.

29. September 2018 at 2:03 #38234

I think this would not be to hard. I guess would have to put a light sensor on the GPIO pins so could dim the display when it get dark in the room. The Squeezebox radio all ready does this.

Don’t get why need VPN. What you want to log in to it from out side your LAN? But it just play at your home. Or just want to get on it only get on Max2play with a password?

-Raymond Day

29. September 2018 at 3:12 #38235

Raymond Day – please read my original post to understand why the ability of Max2Play to use a VPN is desired – Pandora is one, BBC iPlayer is another. There are many geo-locked services that a VPN allows access to.

29. September 2018 at 3:15 #38236

O so your talking about VPN out of Max2play no into it?

29. September 2018 at 3:28 #38237

About the LCD screen brightness. At lest the 7 inch touch one I have.

Went to try and test dimming it but so I went to this web site. Went to the folder /sys/class/backlight and did a git clone https://github.com/linusg/rpi-backlight.git because that folder is not there. But it says Permission denied and I log in as root. I guess it’s not a real root or I just don’t know why.

I was going to take the SD card out and mount it in another Ubuntu. But it’s to hard I would have to open up this hole case to get the SD card out.

If could do the dimming on the command line there are other web sites that say how to install a light sensor.

Tested tying it another way but it don’t work ether.

root@bed-max2play:~# pip install rpi_backlight
    Downloading/unpacking rpi-backlight
      Cannot fetch index base URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/
      Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement rpi-backlight
    No distributions at all found for rpi-backlight
    Storing complete log in /root/.pip/pip.log
    root@bed-max2play:~#

-Raymond Day

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Raymond Day.
    1. Oktober 2018 at 13:09 #38282

Hi guys,

Thank you for the active participation in our development efforts.

It seems OpenVPN is preferred solution.

Do you have any specific experiences with the application under Raspbian Stretch?
    If so, we would appreciate all feedback.

11. Februar 2019 at 14:57 #44430

Hi folks,

I’ve just found this thread after checking out where Max2Play is at these days (I’ve not used it for a few months). I would very much like to see a VPN implementation. One of the reasons I’ve switched away from Max2Play is the lack of VPN support. OpenVPN support would seem a good first step. I have a subscription with PureVPN and their Kodi addon works flawlessly on the same Raspberry Pi B+ (using LibrELEC OS)on which I also ran M2P. Interestingly though, I’ve not had much success with PureVPN on my QNAP HS-251+ NAS. There, OpenVPN works better than other protocols (PureVPN can use several different protocols) but I haven’t been successful yet! Thought I’d share this, as implementation clearly needs careful research.
    Come to think of it – isn’t there a Kodi implementation for Max2Play? So presumably any VPN addons for Kodi would work with Kodi on M2P, so there is already a partial implementation on M2P and that should be a help in creating a native M2P VPN addon, shouldn’t it?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by nickc. Reason: Additional thoughts
    16. Mai 2019 at 2:44 #45411

Hi,

Has this progressed at all? I’m very happy with max2play, but having moved to the other side of the world, a VPN client (OpenVPN would be great) is now very high on my wish list!

Many thanks
    Steve

16. Mai 2019 at 10:08 #45426

Hi steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Could you give us some detail what exactly you would want from a VPN integration in Max2Play and what it should achieve?

16. Mai 2019 at 11:56 #45435

Ideally, I’d like an ExpressVPN plugin (as thats the vpn I use!), but an OpenVPN client wold probably be the best bet.
    I’m trying to circumvent geoblocking to access BBC iPlayer radio UK quality streams and also Qobuz (which I pay for) from outside Europe. I can do it by adding a VPN to my router, but I also want to access local traffic so need 2 routers – local and VPN. A much tidier option would be to have the VPN client within max2play.

29. Mai 2019 at 9:59 #45497

Hi steve,

I’ve talked some with our experts on the subjects and it’s not feasible on a security level to open your home network to the Pi’s port for VPN usage. It is much safer and preferred to have the VPN on your whole home network and make sure the security of your private connections is ensured. The VPN would open up your home to exploits.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here