Why are my discs running all of the time?

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Why are my discs running all of the time?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 17. Juli 2021 at 16:59 #51477

Hi

I have a Pi 4 with TerraMaster DAS running just LMS and Squeezelite. The DAS is running continually even when LMS and Squeezelite are stopped and only goes quiet when the PI is shutdown. Is this expected behaviour? I have some idea that it used not to behave like this when first set up.

Thanks

David.

20. Juli 2021 at 16:23 #51478

Hi David,

Playback should stop when the LMS shuts down or Squeezelite stops. Please remove the autostart of Squeezelite and LMS and then try again.

20. Juli 2021 at 17:29 #51482

Hi

Thanks for the response.

I’m not sure what you mean. Playback stops as one would expect . Disks carry on running.

If I disable auto-start on those two applications then nothing has changed. If I then restart the Pi I get a Pi that is doing nothing useful but still has running discs. I’m not sure what we have learnt from this?

Regards

David

26. Juli 2021 at 11:34 #51504

Hi David,

I probably misunderstood you. Which discs are you talking about exactly? Is the TerraMaster a network storage or a DAC? How should it relate to the Pi?

26. Juli 2021 at 13:06 #51510

Hi

Its Direct Attached Storage(DAS) – a device like NAS but connected via USB to the Pi and the music library sits on that. It not formatted as RAID.

Does that help?

Thanks

27. Juli 2021 at 11:46 #51523

Hi David,

Thank you for the explanation. I assume you are using our Buster image with the Pi 4? If a hard disk is connected, it should shut down after about 10 minutes of inactivity. I could imagine that something is still accessing the disks that prevents them from going into sleep mode. Are the drives only accessible for the Pi or also via a share page in the network?

6. August 2021 at 16:34 #51551

Hi Mario
    Thanks for your input on this. I’m now thinking it is just the fan on the storage unit making the noise – this disk activity lights do not indicate any activity – I can see this now that I’ve moved the unit from its concealment.

Best wishes

David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here