[SOLVED] USB Hard Drive not sleeping

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI [SOLVED] USB Hard Drive not sleeping

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 4. Januar 2017 at 20:10 #25538

HD-idle seems to be working on my Pi3 as I have seen the hard drive become idle but something is waking the hard drive when the system is not being used meaning it spends little time idle. How can I find the cause? I don’t think this was an issue on my U3 with the same HDD.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Slartibartfast.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Heiner.
    5. Januar 2017 at 0:58 #25544

If I run
    sudo hd-idle -t sda
    the HDD enters sleep mode. If I run
    sudo hd-idle -i 0 sda -i 300 -d
    I can see reads and writes to the HDD. These numbers do not change for 30 minutes but the HDD does not enter sleep mode. So I guess hd-idle is not working.

6. Januar 2017 at 13:13 #25600

Hi Slartibartfast,

The Idle time is currently 180 seconds. If you want to change this preset, you need to go to the console and enter the following:
    nano /etc/default/hd-idle
    and then in the following line’s output
    HD_IDLE_OPTS="-i 180 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log"
    readjust the time.

6. Januar 2017 at 20:14 #25643

I have reinstalled the image and hd-idle is still not working. I have not made any changes to the file „/etc/default/hd-idle“ so after 180 seconds the drive should sleep but it never spins down. The drive is a WD Elements drive which aspins down correctly with my Squeezeplug on a Goflex Net.

6. Januar 2017 at 23:45 #25649

I have monitored reads and writes to the HDD using iostat. After a reboot the hard drive does go to sleep after 10 minutes. After about 10 minutes the hard drive spins up again and iostat shows there has been no read or write activity during this time period. Once the hard drive has spun up it never spins down again as if hd-idle does not realise that it has woken up which is understandable as there has been no disk activity.
    If I then cause some read activity by clicking on My Music in LMS then 10 minutes later the drive enters standby state again. About 10 minutes later the drive wakes up again with no read/write activity. It then stays awake until the idle timer is triggered again by using LMS. My squeezeplug with the same drive didn’t behave like this.

7. Januar 2017 at 1:01 #25651

On a whim I thought I would try turning off „Autostart Desktop“. My HDD has been in Standby for almost an hour so far. So far so good. Maybe you can think of a reason this would help.

18. Februar 2017 at 17:35 #27011

Hi,

I have what seems to be the exact same issue with my WD Passport drive connected to Odroid XU4. If I reboot the system the drive spins down and enters standby mode (led slow flashing on hard drive and no whirring disc) but if I play music and then stop music so nothing is playing the hard drive never sleeps again.

Like your issue, if I have rebooted the drive will go idle but then later spin up for no apparent reason and never go back to idle – this is even if I haven’t asked the sever to do anything and I do not have any auto music scanning active.

Sorry i can’t help your issue, but if there’s a solution to fix I’d be grateful to know. My drive has been spinning constantly now for weeks and am concerned it will wear out faster in this state.

22. Februar 2017 at 16:30 #27128

Hi Teetertank and Slartibartfast,
    Thanks for the feedback, we will look into this issue and try to reproduce your issues. Have you tried turning off autostart desktop as well, Teeter?

28. Februar 2017 at 22:28 #27354

Thanks for the response Heiner. I’ve looked on every tab of the Max2play Web interface but don’t see an option to disable destop autostart.

Is this function accessed on the browser interface or does it require somekind of terminal login to change this setying? (Device is an OdroidXU4).

13. März 2017 at 18:21 #27694

Hi Teetertank,
    It’s right below the license input field in the Settings/Reboot menu.

22. Juli 2019 at 13:46 #46444

Hi,

My HDD-idle does not work.

I have not checked ‚autostart desktop¨.

Please advise how/where to run console commands ?

22. Juli 2019 at 15:13 #46446

Hi lektoren,

There’s a plugin called Remote Control that lets you enter the SSH console in any browser. The login is user:pi pw:max2play

22. Juli 2019 at 17:01 #46451

OK, thanks.
    I installed Remote Control, but the login is incorrect (user:pi, psw.: max2play)

24. Juli 2019 at 11:15 #46464

Hi lektoren,

If you have a very old version of our image, it might still be user:pi pw:raspberry

But otherwise, it has to be:

pi and max2play

24. Juli 2019 at 11:39 #46465

For many months I struggled with this hard drive never sleeping issue.

Worked ok on other Odroids but not XU4. My view was that it was the software/functions that come prepackaged from the manufacturer on the hard drive to enable security/passport/recovery etc. If you can, try a different (basic) hard drive or try deleting all supplier functionality and prepackaged files from the hard drive and ideally then reformarting the whole drive.

Mine is working fine now with a Seagate drive, don’t remember which but I got the most basic possible with no preinstalled fancy stuff. (It was Westen Digital Pasport that gave me all the headaches).

24. Juli 2019 at 16:21 #46472

@heiner: ‚Raspberry‘ got me in – but I downloaded a fresh image from the website just last week – the version with touchscreen ?

I managed to find „#HD_IDLE_OPTS=“-i 180 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log“ via the consol – My hdd is sleeping now. I am not sure whether tinkering or rebooting helped, since I didn’t change any settings – I don’t know how 🙂

@teetertank
    : I am pretty sure that my HDD spinned down with a previous image – so it shouldn’t be a hardware issue.

Anyway, problem solved, it seems. Thank you for the answers and help.

Lars

9. November 2021 at 22:36 #51780

Hi all,
    I would like to reopen this ticket, since the problem has come back.
    I can log in via the console, and I can find the hd-idle file, but I cannot edit the file ?

I see this line : HD_IDLE_OPTS=“-i 180 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log“ – but there is a ‚#‘ before it – is this correct?

Thanks, Lars

11. November 2021 at 14:27 #51783

Hi lektoren,

The hash mark probably means that this line has been commented out. Which version of Max2Play are you using? HD-idle should work in the current version.

19. Januar 2022 at 14:10 #51947

I thought I should add to this thread as I have also been having the same issue using a WD Mypassport Ultra. The drive was spinning whenever I checked on it and sometimes hours after it should be.

I followed the suggestion to disable desktop autorun but that didn’t seem to help. I then updated m2p and installed LMS 7.9.3 as I think I was previously running an early version. Finally, I disabled the auto start Squeezebox Server option on m2p and rebooted the Pi. Now I don’t know which, if any, of these things solved the issue but the hard drive now spins down and enters sleep mode. No vibration from drive and the light is a slow flash as it is supposed to be.

It’s only been a couple of days but so far so good!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here