Recording from analogue source via CirrusLogic card

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Recording from analogue source via CirrusLogic card

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 9. Juli 2016 at 16:29 #21400

After some initial teething problems (largely of my own making) I have my Pi B+ working nicely with Max2Play outputting audio via the CirrusLogic card.

But I bought the CirrusLogic card, despite the configuration difficulties others had encountered, because it has an onboard ADC in addition to its DAC, and I opted for Max2Play because it seemed to offer the best hope of fulfilling my objective of using the Pi/Cirrus card combo to create high quality digital recordings from my vinyl collection. However, after playing around for a bit and considerable searching and reading I’m still at a loss as where to even start!

Has anyone with the Wolfson/Cirrus card made use of the ADC or used the line-in port on the card in any way?

How does one access the settings for input to the card in Max2Play?

Is there a recording function within Max2Play or does one need to download an addon (nothing seems available atm)?

Is it possible to use the command line facility to do an „apt-get install“ of a standard audio application, such as Audacity, and would this run with Max2Play?

Answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated.

5. Januar 2017 at 14:32 #25557

Bump!

Five months on and I’d hoped there might be some developments on this front. But having just updated to the latest m2p version there’s nothing new in this respect (though lots of other development – I’m not complaining!)

After making that original post I managed to make a recording from the analogue input on the Cirrus card, using ssh and following the instructions on the Cirrus site, but it’s a clumsy way of doing things and it would be so nice to be able to have a simple „Record“ button in Max2Play!

16. Januar 2017 at 15:01 #25949

Hi nickc,
    Sorry about the late response. While we cannot offer you a simple button, the user nonchalant actually managed to find a solution for line-in support for the Cirrus Logic card: https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/topic/using-multiple-inputs-with-max2play-on-rpi2cirruslogic-sound-card-independently/

16. Januar 2017 at 17:24 #25973

Hi Heiner,

Thanks for getting back to me – „better late than never!“ as they say in England.
    Thanks too for the link. I had seen that post, but not acted on it because I don’t require the simultaneous streaming that nonchalant was setting up and also, as I said in my updated post, I have succeeded in recording to the line-in, and that didn’t require making any changes to my configuration files etc, just running the scripts supplied by Cirrus. What I’m after is a simple way of setting up and making recordings using the M2P web interface rather than the more convoluted ssh process. I have started working on creating a plugin, which looks a bit easier now you’ve released the „Plugin builder“, though still challenging for someone like me. Perhaps if I get stuck you’ll be able to help?

18. Januar 2017 at 15:05 #26026

Sure, we would love to assist to you in creating a custom Plugin for your solution! We would also appreciate you sharing the results once you have something working. Stefan did a video on how exactly you can create plugins using the Builder. If you encounter any major issues outside these guidelines, please share them in this topic and I will try to answer them as quickly as possible.

29. Januar 2017 at 17:36 #26389

Thanks for the offer of help, Heiner. I’m back home now and keen to get on with the project. But I’ve watched the video several times and still find the process of building the plugin very challenging. I have no working knowledge of HTML, PHP etc. I was hoping to find more help on the website. For example, the Help side panel for the Pluginbuilder says: „Build your Plugin with Max2Play – Find HowTos in our developer corner.“ But I can’t find any HowTo apart from the video. And where exactly is your „developer corner“? I’m confused! [Edit: I’ve found it now, but only a little more info on the pluginbuilder there.] You have created a page for the Pluginbuilder in your wiki section, but there’s still no information in it! This would be a great place for someone like me to start. I need to better understand the relationship between the view file and the controller file, for example. I need to better understand which parts of each of these files will need to be edited with custom content, and which parts are the „frame“ that should not be altered. I do fully appreciate that all these things take time and that M2P is in constant development, with maybe not many users concerned about making plugins. But perhaps if there was more help available, more people might be tempted to have a go?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by nickc. Reason: update
    1. Mai 2017 at 19:18 #28641

I completely agree. I might actually pay for live support if there was any documentation to begin with. At least there is documentation for creating a web server in raspbian/ubuntu, as well as documentation for these individual plugins, in most cases, but I got max2play in order for it to be a shortcut to what I was wanting to do, and I know it has the potential to work brilliantly. The plugin I’m wanting to build should be very easy as well, and I’ve also paid for the license, but other than giving me VNC access, I can’t see how it’s made any real difference, as I still can’t access the files within the OS.
    Guess I’ll just have to build what I want or find an alternative.

2. Mai 2017 at 11:01 #28650

@ nickc

unfortunately, as Max2Play we could not provide tutorials regarding programming in HTML, PHP and etc on our website, since every developer has his or her way to develop plugins, however we use the MVC model to build the new plugins, please check the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode-view-controller

@ Theta

Once you have accessed the terminal, and you would like to access some files in the OS, you need higher permission, have you tried to use the super user „su“, the password for this user is „max2play“.

You can start to develop your own plugin and we are ready to help you.

Best Regards,
    Mohammad Mbydeen

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Mbydeen.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here