Problem installing Kodi on Odroid XU4

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play Add-ons Problem installing Kodi on Odroid XU4

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 9. Februar 2016 at 4:31 #18413

I have an Odroid XU4 running Version 2.27 of Max2play. The device is connected by HDMI to a Panasonic TV. I have never seen any video output from Maxp2play, even on initialisation.

I tried a few weeks ago to install Kodi on an Odroid XU4. Initially I tried by just hitting the „Start Kodi / XBMC“ button on the appropriate web interface page. I got an error message saying not successful, so after some searching I tried pasting in a link to a .deb version supposedly for XU4. After that installation I had an error message about GUI, I forget exactly the message but something like „unable to create GUI existing“.

Today I did a fresh install to version 2.27 and tried again by hitting the Start Kodi / XBMC button.

This returns the following details in the yellow detailed log at the top of the screen.

Trying to launch … NOT successful Click here to show detailed information
    sudo: unable to resolve host OdroidXU4
    Use Interface eth0 with -m 00:1e:06:31:13:96
    Stopping Squeezelite
    Stopping Shairport
    pulseaudio: no process found
    /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
    warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    xdpyinfo: unable to open display „:0“.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File „/usr/local/share/kodi/FEH.py“, line 174, in
    if (1 == 1 and badColorDepth()):
    File „/usr/local/share/kodi/FEH.py“, line 153, in badColorDepth
    return bitDepth
    UnboundLocalError: local variable ‚bitDepth‘ referenced before assignment

Is there something I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

10. Februar 2016 at 14:58 #18450

Hi Teetertank,
    Thanks for your feedback. I just tested a new image, 2.26 and update to 2.27. Both versions were able to display the usual desktop via HDMI and when I clicked on start Kodi, the program started in the screen both times.
    Have you expanded the filesystem?

10. Februar 2016 at 17:52 #18454

Thanks for the reply Heiner,

The first thing I did on the initial boot was hit the ‚Expand file system‘ button (with no other USB devices connected).

If there is a way to verify if I have done this correctly to confirm and that the file system has been expanded then please let me know.

I’m using an eMMC module which I formatted to FAT32 before flashing the image.

Should there be a desktop viewable over HDMI for the normal Max2play interface or does it only come alive when Kodi is active. Presently I only interact with Max2play through a web viewer. When I try and view the output over HDMI screen is black, though TV seems to recognise a 16:9 input.

11. Februar 2016 at 13:38 #18458

You can see under Settings/Reboot in the debug info below how much memory is free. The Odroid image should display a desktop when connected via HDMI. Please try a fresh image and try burning it with Odroid’s Win32DiskImager: http://com.odroid.com/sigong/blog/blog_list.php?bid=144

11. Februar 2016 at 15:33 #18460

Thanks once again Heiner.

I will try this when I get home later. Is there a preferred file system to format the eMMC module in before burning the operating system image.

The instructions on your link say to format the card but with what system? FAT, FAT32, NTFS?…

15. Februar 2016 at 14:40 #18496

The software does that for you.

8. März 2016 at 1:56 #19167

I tried again a few tines to install Kodi and still no joy.

I downloaded a fresh Max2Play image again from the website (Verson 2.22)
    I downloaded Win32DiskImager from the link Heiner kindly supplied above.
    I reformated eMMC moddule (to FAT32) just to be sure.
    Used Win32Disk Imager to burn a new image to eMMc module.
    Max2Play booted fine – I the expanded the file system and confirmed.
    I updated to version 2.27 (I also tried te latest beta version too with same results)
    Then I tried installing Kodi from the ‚Start Kodi‘ button on M2P Kodi tab.
    I still get no video output even for sandard Max2play interface – screen is just blank
    I get a similar error message when trying to start Kodi (as shown below)
    …says: „unable to resolve host OdroidXU4“ ….is that something to do with the problem?
    Error message pasted below:

Trying to launch … NOT successful Click here to show detailed information
    Use Interface eth0 with -m 00:1e:06:31:13:96
    Stopping Squeezelite
    Stopping Shairport
    pulseaudio: no process found
    sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified
    /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
    warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    xdpyinfo: unable to open display „:0“.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File „/usr/local/share/kodi/FEH.py“, line 174, in
    if (1 == 1 and badColorDepth()):
    File „/usr/local/share/kodi/FEH.py“, line 153, in badColorDepth
    return bitDepth
    UnboundLocalError: local variable ‚bitDepth‘ referenced before assignment

10. März 2016 at 11:36 #19184

Hi,

the main problem is, that:

„I still get no video output even for sandard Max2play interface – screen is just blank
    I get a similar error message when trying to start Kodi (as shown below)“

this is why Kodi is not able to show anything on the screen (as stated in the error message on start up).

How to fix: Make sure to connect the HDMI-Cable on startup of the XU4 and turn on TV/monitor. Make sure to use a quality HDMI-cable. Some thin cables may not work…

Hope this helps!
    Stefan

22. März 2016 at 0:56 #19399

Thanks for the reply Stefan.

I finally got the video output working. I had the display resolution on the settings page set to auto before. I had tried a few other likely display resolutions before with no luck and also tried different HDMI cables so gave up.

I tried again different display resolutions and found that when I set to ‚1080p noedid‘ I got the display output working fine on my TV with the main Max2play interface. Once the output was set, Kodi installed fine first try. So it seems it was user error I’m afraid, though would have hoped that the ‚Auto resoluton‘ option would have worked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here