Frequent SD Card Failures – how to solve

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI Frequent SD Card Failures – how to solve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2. August 2016 at 16:53 #21975

I am running m2p on my pi2b with a 500gb USB SSD for my FLAC collection as well as internet radio. When it works it is great. However I am experiencing problems with frequent SD card failures and having to reload the image onto new SD cards. How do I address this problem?

I am about to explore moving the OS etc to the SSD or maybe a small USB drive hanging off the powered hub and just using the SD card to boot up.

Thanks in advance for any fruitful advice.

Regards
    Paul

8. August 2016 at 17:47 #22086

Hello Paul,

To use it in the way you describe is very difficulty. Please check your SD-card. Maybe the quality is to bad.

9. August 2016 at 18:38 #22127

Thanks Christoph.

I am using sandisk ultra 8gb class 10 cards. I am now on to the fourth card. Things seem to be better when I use the updated version (v2) of win32diskimager. Quite why I do not know.

I have yet to try placing the OS onto the SSD which is run once the sd card has booted. I will report progress here when I have tried it. This might be some time away given lots of other things are going on at present.

Thanks
    Paul

21. August 2016 at 11:18 #22379

Hi Paul,

I am also interested in moving Max2Play to a USB stick/drive or SSD, albeit for different reasons. I have not yet had any SD failure issues, but realize that SD cards are not ideal due to their limited write cycles. I use M2P with LMS / Squeezeserver and have a very large and frequently updated music library. Hence, LMS needs to routinely rescan and write new data to the card, and this will eventually lead to problems. Additionally, I would expect a performance boost via USB.

Have you been able to make any progress on your investigation yet?

Thanks and best,
    JCU

21. August 2016 at 11:42 #22380

Hi JCU

Thanks for your post. No I have not had the time to progress this – I am currently trying to solve an issue with playing FLAC via a PHAT DAC on a Pi Zero using PCP. However this link might help with the boot problem
    https://www.stewright.me/2013/05/install-and-run-raspbian-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

The trick appears to be be changing the boot location. However it may be more difficult than I imagine. Keep me briefed if you manage to sort this one.

Thanks
    Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register here