Reply To: [SOLVED] Run audioplayer and Kodi simultaneously

Max2Play Home Forums Max2Play on Raspberry PI [SOLVED] Run audioplayer and Kodi simultaneously Reply To: [SOLVED] Run audioplayer and Kodi simultaneously

19. Februar 2016 at 15:22 #18600

That doesn’t work. Audio outputs are separate and I hear Kodi sounds via HDMI, but even now, when Kodi runs, Audioplayer/Squeezelite stops though Squeezelite is using DAC+.

Kodi also renders on 7″, not HDMI though sound is on HDMI for Kodi. Jivelite (and Squeezelite) pause whilst Kodi is running.

Is there a way for Jivelite/Squeezelite to run simultaneously with Kodi? Ideally for both audio and video, though even the audio is not working at the moment. I want Kodi to render using HDMI and Jivelite to render on 7″.

[UPDATE] Okay, works, kind-of, if I select USB-DAC checkbox. I shouldn’t be selecting that however, because DAC+ is not USB DAC. However, now I cannot connect to Squeezelite using Squeezer app (because there is a port conflict on port 9090 between this and Kodi. Note that I’m not talking about port 8080 control of Kodi, that’s separate and works, this is about port 9090). Also, the problem that Kodi still renders on 7″ still remains (so Jivelite UI is not seen which coupled with the fact I cannot use Squeezer to connect any more if I autostart Kodi, means I cannot now control Squeezelite if I start Kodi, so cannot play audio via it for example if I start Kodi – this problem would be solved if either of Kodi or Squeezelite uses a port other than 9090 (how?) – at least, I would be able to use Squeezer (or other app) to control Squeezelite whilst Kodi is occuyping the 7″ display.

So two problems after both Squeezelite and Kodi have now started running simultaneously after selecting the USB-DAC checkbox:
* Both Kodi and Jivelite want to use 7″. I want Kodi to use HDMI, but video output device is not selectable inside Kodi and I do not know how to get it to render on HDMI and Jivelite on 7″ simultaneously. I do not know if I can use a parameter like --display 6 to start Kodi on the non-default screen (from https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/ – search for Dual display usage). If it is possible, it would be great to have this parameter available on the max2play web interface.

On a side note, this might be useful for those who want to run Kodi on demand (upon HDMI plug-in), especially if it can then use the parameter mentioned above to start Kodi on the non-default display (for most users, TV/monitor as opposed to the 7″ LCD): https://www.max2play.com/forums/topic/start-stop-kodi-based-on-hdmi-monitor-status/

* Both Kodi and Squeezelite want to use port 9090. I do not know how to make one of them listen on a different port.
[UPDATE] I’m guessing the issue for the port conflict can be addressed by setting a different port for Kodi jsonrpc, http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml. It would be great if max2play did this automatically if the user chooses to autostart both Squeezelite and Kodi.

<jsonrpc>
    <compactoutput>true</compactoutput>
    <tcpport>9999</tcpport>
</jsonrpc>

So, until this thing is fixed properly (a.k.a. in a newbie friendly way), my workaround is to:
* Set Squeezelite to DAC+ in Advanced settings
* Set Squeezelite to autostart
* Set Kodi audio output device to HDMI (assuming DAC+ can’t be used in Kodi and Squeezelite both simultaneously)
* Set Kodi jsonrpc to a port other than 9090 (e.g., 9999)
* Set Kodi to autostart
* Set HDMI as default video device using display_default_lcd=0 in config.txt file (from https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-eagerly-awaited-raspberry-pi-display/)
* Forget about using Jivelite interface unless Kodi is exited, but use the Squeezer (or similar) app on my smartphone to control Squeezelite

But once it all falls into place for noobs like me (prameters provided on max2play web-interface, automatically configured as needed, dual display works properly), I’ll no longer default display to HDMI and will use dual display to show Jivelite UI on LCD and Kodi on HDMI connected display (TV/monitor), running all the time.

For those desiring to use DAC for all audio output, who do not have a use-case for playing music and Kodi on different speakers but at the same time, perhaps running Kodi with XSqueeze plugin is a better option?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by m.max2play.